Shall i buy denon 1803 or pay $300 (aus) more and get 2802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by darren_b, Feb 6, 2003.

1. darren_b

darren_b Extra

As the topic says, i can get the denon 1803 for $1050 (aus) or shall i pay an extra $300(aus) and get the 2802. From the specs the 1803 seems same chipset as 2802 but has 10 watts per channel less.

I have Jamo X series speakers.

Anyone who has demo'ed either or had experiences with them, iut would be appreciated

thanks

2. Barry BB

Barry BB Stunt Coordinator

I am happy with the 2802, it's a nice receiver.

You did not give the size of your room, the extra 10 watts could make a difference if you have a large room. That being said, if you are not in the habit of pushing your system to the limit and listening at high volumes then at normal volume I don't think 10 watts of additional power makes a big difference. I have not researched the 1803 but if it has the same chip set as the 2802 then for less money that seems like a good choice.

3. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

The 10W/ch is not something to worry about. You should however consider the 2802 simply based on the availability of preouts for all channels which will enable you to upgrade the sound by adding a separate amp in the future. The 1803 has no preouts (the 1802 had the front 3 preouts but Denon decided to discount it on the 1803[​IMG] ) So in other words the 2802 is upgradable while the 1803 is not and that should be a deciding factor. If I were you I would get the 2802.

4. Richard Harvey

Richard Harvey Stunt Coordinator

I agree; buy the 2802 because of expandability, not because of 10w. The 10w is negligible.

Rich

5. Barry BB

Barry BB Stunt Coordinator

As I said I had not researched the 1803. Now that I see that the other posters say that it does not have preouts then the 2802 is my recommendation also.

6. david stark

david stark Second Unit

some time ago I was faced with exactly the same question. I listened to the 1802, 1803 and 2802.

And after listening to all of them back to back I walked away with the ...... 2802. I live in a small appartment so the extra power or upgradability was not an issue at the time.

The only reason I spent the extra money on the 2802 was the sound quality. There is improved sound quality with the 2802 over the other two and when I listened to it I thought it was worth the extra money.

My best advice would be to do the same as I did and find a shop that is prpared to give you a demo of both of them back to back and if you can't tell the difference then there is no point in spending more money. If you can tell the difference you can then see if you are prepared to pay that extra money for it.

and finally if you do go and demo then take your own discs so you can listen to a source you know.