shady auto insurance company

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Eric Samonte, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

My brother who just recently came over here got a new car. Considering he doesn't have prior credit much less a driving history US side, he had to pay a premium for the car and insurance. Now after a month of using said vehicle, he finds out he was never insured. The insurance company accepted a 2 month advance payment and told my brother he was insured by Progressive. They even asked for his bank account's routing number for "autopayment". My brother calls up Progressive and finds out his policy is non-existent. He then calls the insurance co. only to be told its some other company. The he was further informed his bank routing number was never given to them and so forfeits the 2 months payment. And because Progressive called them up, my brother was yelled at by the guy.
    I have tried to tell him what to do, like call up the auto dealer, etc. Now I would like to get some advice from the HTF people on how to go about getting the company its due and at least getting my brother's money back.
    Sorry if its a long rant but I guess I gotta get the facts in.....

2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I would think the state insurance auditor could help you out [​IMG]

3. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Your state should have an insurance department or similar agency that deals with that stuff.

4. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Whatever you do, make sure he gets other insurance NOW. Most states have financial responsiblity laws that can revoke a cars license plate or drivers license for a period of time if you drive without insurance. Obviously you can argue that your brother was hoodwinked for the 2 months but since he now knows about it, they can certainly peg him pretty good.

Also, he should change his bank account number immediately. If this was not a legitimate screw up he could fall victims to these scammers twice.

I hope it woks out for him but I would consider a bonus if he gets any money back at this point.

5. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I don't understand. Where did he initially get insurance from? The dealer? You said he went through a company and they said he had progressive, did he get an insurance card, a receipt, a booklet stating his rights? Usually they give them to you right when you give them the check (at least all the companies I've dealt with have). How did he pay the advanced payment? If a check get the deposited check from the bank. On the back it should show the endorsement from the company. That right there is proof enough that he paid for it and never received the product.

6. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Thanks guys.I'll pass along the info to him.
    Mike, I know it sounds quite ridiculous. I mean, u can't drive away a car without insurance from the dealer,right? I'll have to quiz him more closely on the papers/receipts he got. That's a good point to show with the check being cashed and stuff.
    Many thanks again guys....

7. Craig

Craig Second Unit

Sounds like the well known company, "Dewey, Cheatum & Howe".