Shadows of the Empire music cd

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Donnie Eldridge, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

Anyone care to comment on it? I haven't heard much about it and was concidering picking it up for my collection.

2. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

It's decent. Of course, it made for a very interesting concept upon its release (a score for a novel) but what McNeely put together was really very impressive with many cues reaching almost operatic levels that stray for the Star Wars musical conventions, but remain impressive compositions nevertheless.

There's fleeting references to the Imperial March and the Force Theme, and the first cue interestingly combines the traditional Star Wars opening title music with the carbon freeze chamber cue from Empire before launching into original music by McNeely.

I recommend it.

Dan

3. Donnie Eldridge

That's good enough for me. I'll be picking it up.

4. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Jolly good. Post back with some thoughts!

Dan

5. Donnie Eldridge

Received the cd this past week. I was initially hesitant to play it. I had been listening to the SW soundtracks all week and wasn't sure how it would compare. I can say, I was pleasantly surprised and found it very representative of the SW genre. Your right, there are slight hints of the other SW theme's, and it is more operatic. I've found the more I listen to it the more it grows on me. I found a couple of tracks a little uninspired, but there are a handful that are just plain fantastic. I'm very glad I picked it up.

6. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Glad to hear it Donnie. Few people even know of the score's existence, but those who do usualy form the disc's loyal following. Nice to see it's found another fan!

Dan