Shadowgate- Most Frustrating Console Game EVER?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve_Knutzen, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Screenwriter

Remember Shadowgate? A little point and click adventure for NES that won a coveted 'Nester' Award for 'Most Innovative Game'. I played this game at the age of six and got considerable help from my Junior High School brother's friend that owned the game. I found it used a few months back and couldn't get past the first room! It wasn't until last night I happened to check GameFAQS and found out you had to OPEN the skull. I played it for like 40 minutes last night but had to constantly run back to the computer for hints. I thought to myself 'How could people have played this without any help whatsoever?' I mean 70% of the stuff in game you make guesses on and you die a LOT. Is there anybody that beat this game back in the day without any outside help. If so, I congratulate you.
    Let's remember Shadowgate, a terribly difficult though entertaining game.

2. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Shadowgate was one of my favorite NES games. I got through it, but I did need help, but not in every room or anything. I did get most of it done myself.

I think I needed more help in Deja Vu though.

3. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

I was going to say Streets of Sim City was the most frustrating game ever, but then I remembered you said CONSOLE. [​IMG]

4. Eric_E

Eric_E Supporting Actor

Steve:

Yeah, I remember Shadowgate. That game was really hard. I could never figure it out either... I remember that it had good atmospheric music that kind of freaked me out at the time. But yeah, I do remember all the puzzles, and "EPOR," and the banshee, and the skull, and blah blah blah. My feeble mind never made much progress in that game, though. :wink:

5. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

I had this game, was great to play for the first time but as soon as you managed to figure out what to do you could finish it in 15 min total. I should pick up the GBC version of it and take a trip down memory lane. I remember the dragon room gave me a hell of a time trying to figure out what to do.

I'm suprised that Morgan hasn't keyed in, I thought that this was one of his all time favorites.

6. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Maaaan, I hear you Graeme. Deja Vu was a freakin' hard game. I never did see the end of it after many, many rentals. I made it as far as jamming the fat woman in the trunk full of sodium penthol (mature gaming indeed [​IMG]) but could never get enough evidence to get the conviction or whatever the heck it was you had to do.

Oh well, one of the few adventure games I've never gotten through.

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

8. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

I always got stuck in the room with the lion...I can't believe that I remember this trivial fact but not a single vocabulary word from elementary school. I never got past it. I hope whoever I was supposed to save is still alive.[​IMG]

9. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Great game-I remember getting this one back in the day and fighting our way through the whole thing, with only the occasional bone from Nintendo Power to help us along (there were always a LOT of questions on shadowgate). Reminded me a lot of the older Sierra games though.

Never did play the N64 sequel though-I remember hearing about it being in development, and then coming out to almost no noise at all. I was between N64s at the time, so I never got it.

What ever happened to Shadowgate Rising-wasn't that supposed to be the new game?

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Shadowgate Rising was in the late PC beta stages (nearly done) when I think it was canned. I don't think they made nearly enough money off of Shadowgate 64: Trials of the Four Towers to justify releasing another game.

I also heard Shadowgate Rising was MUCH better, aurally, graphically, and gameplay-wise, than Shadowgate 64. The only real appealing aspect to Shadowgate 64 is the challenge. Pretty much everything else about it sucked.

11. DanielM

DanielM Stunt Coordinator

great game!! finished it with a few hints from the aforementioned nintendo power

12. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

One of my ALL time favorite D&D kinda games. Maybe if I saw it know I wouldn't be all that into it, but man, when I first popped it into my NES ... I wish they still made games like this.

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Because of this thread, I've decided to play through Shadowgate Classic for GBC today. I expect to have a blast.

And no, beating this game so easily and so many times does not make it any less fun. So what if I can beat it in one sitting.

14. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

My friend and I played through this game. We ended up racking up 'game hint line' charges on his Dad's phone bill so we could finish it.[​IMG]

Deja Vu was a great game as well. I still own that, and play through it from time to time.

There was one other game in the same genre that we played through. The Uninvited.

Of the 3, my favorite is Deja Vu.

15. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I made that post at 2:26 PM, I did a few things, then I started to play Shadowgate Classic. I was done by 3:13 PM.

Overall, it took me around 35 minutes to play through the whole thing. I should time myself and try to go for a record.

16. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

Ah the memories are flowing back, Shadowgate was a great game! It was difficult, and I definitely remember getting super stuck a few times, but it was so rewarding to make it all the way through.

Deja Vu was another spectacular game, but even more difficult! I remember playing with my friend on an old Mac Classic for hours and hours and we never did make it completely through the game. I wish I could find a version of that game to play through again, was it ever made for a console?

17. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

18. James Zos

"(DV2 was never released for any other platform)."

Not so, Morgan, that is, if you count home computers as a platform. A PC version of Deja Vu II was released and is available as abandon ware (free) for download on the net. I know, I have it on my computer. (I believe Shadowgate and Deja Vu may be available as well, but I'm not sure.)

19. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Where'd you get it? I want to try it out.

20. James Zos