What's new

Shadow of the Colossus PS4 (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

No way I'm doing 60 FPS-I'm going "Cinematic mode" at 30.
This will be the first game I try on my Pro.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Is that "performance mode" the same as what Sony calls "enhanced" for the Pro? I would like to get an enhanced game for the Pro, don't have any, just to see what it's all about (maybe compare it to on the plain PS4 if I feel experimental). But I will get this regardless, eventually.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
It sure is pretty, but I got the HD remaster for free on the PS3 sitting here. I'll play that, it'll be "good enough".

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I have the PS3 version as well, but I love this game.
So I'm buying it again.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I pre ordered this on Amazon for release day delivery. I can't wait to play it. And this is after getting the platinum for the PS3 version as well. Game looks absolutely stunning compared to the previous versions.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
It sure is pretty, but I got the HD remaster for free on the PS3 sitting here. I'll play that, it'll be "good enough".

Nope. Nope. No No No. Having played both now, all I can say is HOLY CRAP! This game is jaw dropping gorgeous. The PS3 version is absolutely NOT 'good enough'. If you haven't played the game, then you have to experience the PS4 version. I don't care if you got the PS3 version for free. Throw it away and get the PS4 version for full retail price. It's that worth it. I got the platinum on the PS3 version which means playing it so much that you are sick to death of it and never want to touch it again. Now i'm playing the PS4 version and it's like playing a brand new game for the first time. I can't wait to spend hours and hours again with it.

tl;dr = I liked it. :D

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Nope. Nope. No No No. Having played both now, all I can say is HOLY CRAP! This game is jaw dropping gorgeous. The PS3 version is absolutely NOT 'good enough'. If you haven't played the game, then you have to experience the PS4 version. I don't care if you got the PS3 version for free. Throw it away and get the PS4 version for full retail price. It's that worth it. I got the platinum on the PS3 version which means playing it so much that you are sick to death of it and never want to touch it again. Now i'm playing the PS4 version and it's like playing a brand new game for the first time. I can't wait to spend hours and hours again with it.

tl;dr = I liked it. :D

Well, maybe I'll hold off for a sale.. (I'm cheap :P )

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ Me too. I went to a lot of "trouble" to get that PS3 version (new hard copy) not so long ago, and then when the PS4 version was announced, somebody here said I might want to wait before playing the PS3 version...

Is it a different game, or just totally redone? i.e. I know it's not just remastered, but it was cheaper than a typical new PS4 game. It sure sold out quickly around here, I went to the stores Tuesday afternoon and none left. Also amazon.ca had already sold out of their copies when I checked just after that, they had plenty Monday night...I like to get hard copies.

Last edited:

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
^ Me too. I went to a lot of "trouble" to get that PS3 version (new hard copy) not so long ago, and then when the PS4 version was announced, somebody here said I might want to wait before playing the PS3 version...

Is it a different game, or just totally redone? i.e. I know it's not just remastered, but it was cheaper than a typical new PS4 game. It sure sold out quickly around here, I went to the stores Tuesday afternoon and none left. Also amazon.ca had already sold out of their copies when I checked just after that, they had plenty Monday night...I like to get hard copies.

It's not a different game, but it certainly feels like it.

The main difference is the graphics, and it couldn't make a more huge difference. It's night and day. The PS3 version is a slightly uprezzed PS2 game, and it looks like it. Put it up against other PS3 games, and it doesn't look as good. The PS4 version puts all other current gen games I've seen to shame. It looks that good.

The other difference is that the controls and gameplay have been improved. The PS3 controls are quite wonky, and very off putting. The PS4 version improves on this enough to make a difference. The controls and frame rate are much more smooth and manageable and while it's still got the inherent control and camera issues underneath, it's enough of a difference to make it an issue of positivity.

When I first started the PS3 version, I couldn't get into it, and abandoned it about 1/3 of the way through my first playthrough, because it was too frustrating and cumbersome to control. I never do that. I always make it a point to see games through to the end. But this one just didn't do it for me, and I dreaded going back to it. I eventually did and finished it up and ended up enjoying it once I got used to it, but it wasn't a game that I would have actively recommend to anyone due to my experience with it.

The PS4 version has been the polar opposite for me. My jaw drops constantly and the emotions and wonder I feel seeing these huge colossi come out hits me in a way it never did before, even though I saw those scenes countless times in the past. The first time entering the forest area I might as well have been playing a completely different version than the PS3 version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks