Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Title: Shadow in the Cloud (2020)

Tagline: Every mission has it's demons

Genre: Action, Drama, Horror, War

Director: Roseanne Liang

Cast: Chloë Grace Moretz, Nick Robinson, Beulah Koale, Taylor John Smith, Callan Mulvey, Benedict Wall, Joe Witkowski, Byron Coll, Liam Legge, Asher Bridle

Release: 2020-12-31

Runtime: 83

Plot: A WWII pilot traveling with top secret documents on a B-17 Flying Fortress encounters an evil presence on board the flight.

This one looks right up my alley. Had a few free iTunes rentals so we’ll be watching this one tonight.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
About to start it. Has gotten some very good reviews. 78% at RT.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Strange film. A mix of genres. WWII, horror, sci fi. However I was entertained throughout.

Reminiscent of the Nightmare at 20,000 feet episode of Twilight Zone. Chloe Grace Moretz plays a mysterious woman with a secret package on a B17. For much of the film it’s focused entirely on her and feels like a one woman show.

Its definitely all over the place and strains credulity for sure but if you go with the premise you may enjoy it for what it is. A relatively low budget action/horror/sci fi film with a solid performance from Ms Moretz and good visual effects sequences by WETA digital.

YM (will) V;)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The only theater open around here is showing this film this weekend.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Saw this last night. When I was a kid I was not much into comic books with the exception of war and western comics. One I was really hooked on was Weird War. This essentially plays as a story you would find in a Weird War comic book. Some horror and odd happenings all taking place in a WWII setting. The first hour of the film was very good. Quite atmospheric and some nice looking shots. Plus a score that was a bit influenced by Tangerine Dream perhaps. All and all a nice little throwback package that was over in what seemed the blink of an eye.

I'm not saying it is a classic but if you like horror set in WWII this will probably do you just fine for an evenings entertainment. Fans of pictures like The Keep or Overlord probably would be right at home with this.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Strange film. A mix of genres. WWII, horror, sci fi. However I was entertained throughout.

Reminiscent of the Nightmare at 20,000 feet episode of Twilight Zone. Chloe Grace Moretz plays a mysterious woman with a secret package on a B17. For much of the film it’s focused entirely on her and feels like a one woman show.

Its definitely all over the place and strains credulity for sure but if you go with the premise you may enjoy it for what it is. A relatively low budget action/horror/sci fi film with a solid performance from Ms Moretz and good visual effects sequences by WETA digital.

YM (will) V;)
I think this is a good evaluation of the pic. Just watched it a couple days ago on...Hulu? I didn’t even think about it’s budget until the movie was over. Then I realized it had limited sets and cast. Whatever they spent they got it all up on the screen.

Good advice, “go with the premise”, because if you can’t don’t bother watching. I had fun.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This was a movie that got doubly derailed, first from the many, many, many allegations of emotional abuse and sexual assault against co-writer Max Landis, and then from a global pandemic.

Strangely, though, Landis's expertise in misogyny may have helped the film, because the flight crew of sexist assholes are particularly vicious in this one.

Also, a New Zealand film set in a fairly obscure corner of the Pacific theater of World War II.

To the extent that the film holds together at all, it's because of Moretz's multifaceted performance. Even when everything going on around her is completely absurd, she plays it straight and plays it with layers.

I did wonder about halfway through the film if the entire thing was going to take place in that gun turret.

Whatever they spent they got it all up on the screen.
I agree with this. Given that this was a small indie film with its budget stitched together from half-a-dozen sources, the production values are a pretty remarkable achievement. It helps that two-thirds of the run time was shot in one tiny set, but once she gets out of there the movie doesn't disappoint.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Strangely, though, Landis's expertise in misogyny may have helped the film, because the flight crew of sexist assholes are particularly vicious in this one.
Do you think the portrayal of the crew was true to life? I know many man are still misogynist assholes today, but I still had to lift my chin off the floor listening to that dialogue.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Do you think the portrayal of the crew was true to life? I know many man are still misogynist assholes today, but I still had to lift my chin off the floor listening to that dialogue.
I have no idea, to be honest. Probably not. But then, I don't think a lone woman would never have found herself in that situation in real life at that time.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have no idea, to be honest. Probably not. But then, I don't think a lone woman would never have found herself in that situation in real life at that time.
Is this movie playing on any streaming service because military men about 80 years ago were real cavemen. Frankly, men in general weren't much better.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks