What's new

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band [4 CD/DVD/Blu-ray Combo][Super Deluxe Ed] Preorder (1 Viewer)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The set includes a reconstructed stereo mix matching the original, so there's no point making the 5.1 mix a "stereo with rear ambience" version. DSPs can do that well enough. Sgt Pepper cries out for the Love treatment. I think people want bells and whistles here.
Agreed. Love is a great 5.1 mix.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I guess I am in the minority for Love. I am a big surround fan but I do not like mixes that are too gimmicky. I found the mix in Love to be just that, along with the blending of the songs, I ended up giving the thing away. I like 5.1 mixes but they must have some reverence to the original mix (Steve Wilson does a great job in regards to this). So I am a bit more enthused about this release, based on a review, than others are, in regards to the new surround mix for Sgt Pepper. Now I just need the price to come down some more.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My copy has shipped. Should have it tomorrow!

If anyone has the power to get me to order this with a positive review, it's you! (Though I'll still probably cheat and put it on a Christmas wish list or something.)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm a huge Beatle fan - been there since the US "invasion" but I don't "need" this one. If was the original MONO and Stereo mixes on CD I'd go for it but I don't need Sir George's sons' version of the MONO mix in stereo.

Marco S

Stunt Coordinator
We get 8 different re-mixes on dance music, how about two different surround mixes on the same blu-ray?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If was the original MONO and Stereo mixes on CD I'd go for it but I don't need Sir George's sons' version of the MONO mix in stereo.

I believe this contains the original mono mix and a new stereo remix - the mono should be untouched. Regardless, the original mono and stereo mixes were previously issued to disc and are still available.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
The big advantage over the original mix is that Sgt Pepper was recorded to 4 track and in order to get as many elements into the mix as they wanted, they had to do as many as three bounce downs on a single song. That means three generations of tape hiss and distortion. Rebuilding it in digital from the first generation mix elements will make it sound much better. The new stereo mix follows the balances in the mono mix exactly, just opening it up with a stereo spread. If you want authentic, that is going to be plenty authentic. The 5.1 mix is something entirely new. I can't wait to hear that.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
My box should be here by tomorrow. Can't wait to hear this, its sort of like a film restoration, remixing without degradation creates a cleaner mix than ever heard before.

Plus i've always been a mono version person. The mono Pepper is a rock album. The 1967 stereo Has always sounded very thin and wishy-washy to me. IMHO.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm a huge Beatle fan - been there since the US "invasion" but I don't "need" this one. If was the original MONO and Stereo mixes on CD I'd go for it but I don't need Sir George's sons' version of the MONO mix in stereo.
Isn't that just called the 2009 CD releases? We already got those.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I can't be the only one wishing that there was a separate BD/DVD release, can I?

Hell, no! I would have been ALL OVER such a thing.

This is a little much...and, apparently, massive!

91yzTHJ3nvL._SL1500_.jpg

It was 50 years ago when The Beatles' John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr astonished and delighted the world, ushering in the Summer of Love with Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, a groundbreaking masterwork that became popular music's most universally
acclaimed album. The album is newly mixed by Giles Martin and engineer Sam Okell in stereo, sourced directly from the four-track masters at Abbey Road Studios in London, and guided by the original, Beatles-preferred mono mix produced by his father, George Martin. This extensive collection gives an unprecedented insight into how The Beatles made their ground-breaking album. The box set features a new stereo version by Giles Martin and 33 tracks from the Sgt. Pepper sessions that place you in the studio as the group develop the songs.

4 Audio CDs:
A new stereo mix of the album by Giles Martin. Sgt. Pepper Sessions on 2 CDs with over 100 minutes of audio illustrating how the album was created. Newly mixed from the original four-track tapes, most of the material is previously unreleased. Also contains the original 1967 mono mix of the album and bonus tracks including three previously unreleased mixes.

Blu-Ray/DVD:
Fully restored 1992 documentary The Making of Sgt. Pepper, including interviews with Paul, George and Ringo and fascinating in-the-studio footage introduced by George Martin. Restored promotional films for 'A Day In The Life', 'Strawberry Fields Forever' and 'Penny Lane'. 2017 Giles Martin 5.1 surround sound mix and high-resolution stereo audio in 96KHz/24bit of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band plus 'Strawberry Fields Forever' and 'Penny Lane'.

144-page hardback book featuring an introduction by Sir Paul McCartney, comprehensive song-by-song details and recording information, in-depth essays about the design of the cover, the album's musical innovations and its historical context... and much more. Illustrations include photographs from the recording sessions, handwritten lyrics and Abbey Road documentation.

Plus a replica of the original card insert and two bonus posters.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
That's my problem exactly. If I bring home another massive box-o-goodies set [this isn't like one of Warner's box-o-junk editions wih toys and the like], my wife would roll her eyes in that way only she can.

texboil

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Robbins
I've read that the songwriting credits have been changed on this new edition to please Sir Paul. Any truth to that?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks