SFO or OAK?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Michael*K, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Coming out to San Francisco on business in two weeks. I'll be staying downtown. I have the choice of flying into either SFO or OAK. Which provides the easier or quicker commute to the financial district?

2. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Probably best for the locals to answer but I just tell you my experience.

I had to go to Oakland last year and flew into OAK. From what I remember, the airport was kinda far from things and I had to take BART (the train/subway system) to get to San Francisco and to actually get into Oakland. I had a layover in Phoenix and had to take a small commuter plane into OAK, stopping at a couple of other places first. That part was annoying and you'd probably be able to get a more direct flight straight in to SFO. I don't know if SFO is convenient for where you're going but I didn't find OAK really close to anything (but my memory could be a little hazy).

3. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

sfo

4. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Definitely SFO. SFO is now connected by BART to the financial district of SF.

Amazingly, I am posting this from Guangzhou, China....

5. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Yeah, I noticed you have to take a shuttle to use BART from OAK. I booked myself into SFO this morning.

6. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

It all depends on what time of day you are flying in, and if you'll have a car.

The Oakland airport is closer to downtown San Francisco then the San Francisco airport but there are many factors to consider.

If you are arriving mid morning and renting a car Oakland, is the better choice. The same holds true if you are taking a super shuttle into downtown.

If you are arriving during rush hour and driving SFO might be better.

If you are going to use the BART system, SFO is definitely the better choice.

7. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

OAK is not too far from San Fran - it's actually in Alameda, I believe (my in-laws live in Alameda). When my wife and I fly in, we usually fly into either OAK or San Jose, because the flights are incredibly cheap.

8. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

If cost is a concern, I've found Oakland to be much cheaper.