What's new

SF Bay Area loses NBC affiliate (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Any other SF Bay Area viewers bummed that NBC and KRON, or the owner that recently bought KRON didn't work out a deal to maintain KRON as the Bay Area NBC affiliate? As of 11:35pm December 2001, KRON will no longer be the San Francisco NBC affiliate.

While I can deal with now tuning to Channel 11, KNTV San Jose for NBC shows (and I hope they boost the signal), I feel it was a real shame to both parties that they let a 52 year long relationship end this way. Over money! From what I've read New York based Young who bought KRON for a huge amount, some $800 million if I recall the figure and wanted some $730 million for NBC to buy it. Young was selling because they would not cave to NBC's reverse demands that KRON pay NBC to broadcast their programing. So KRON said fine, we'll go indie. What a shame as I said for it to end.

It just won't be the same or right to see NBC programing from a small station and former ABC affiliate not many know of out of San Jose now handling NBC. San Francisco is the 5th largest TV market and what a loss for it to not have an NBC station in San Francisco to serve it. And what's even odder is that NBC outright bought KNTV, so it will run the station. And it's a shame for the KRON staff, many whom I've noticed have left and new younger on camera staff are on now doing the news.

Both are in for a hard time I think. Aside from Frasier, not much else there I watch anyway, but for the less informed, there will be a lot of lost viewers. Good for KNTV though with the new influx of cash.

What do other SF viewers think?

If this topicis not appropriate for this section, Admins please move it to where it belongs.

Nelson

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Nelson,

What's the big deal, other than KNTV will have to move its trasmitter from Loma Prieta to SF. If you haven't noticed, San Jose passed up San Francisco population-wise 20 years ago. Silicon Valley is the engine that runs the Bay Area and quite a bit of California. It's about time that the South Bay starts pushing its weight around in the media. Everything doesn't revolve around San Francisco. Enough of my ranting. I'm sure that in a year, no one will remember the switch.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Mark-

What you say is true, I am a part of the Silicon Valley machine myself and I live in the mid Peninsula.

What my thesis was poorly proposing was that an established institution in broadcast history that went back to probably the early roots of NBC history and San Francisco has past. And it's too bad.

Nelson

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks