What's new

Sexy CNN anchor (1 Viewer)

MikeAW

Second Unit
The tipoff is when CNN finally got rid of that blonde at mid-day with the bad eye problem...Bobbie something or other...they didn't even shade her video good when she was anchoring...her flesh tone and blonde hair was always green.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I'm not sure who said it was a zipper effect. What I heard was a record needle being scraped across a record. There is music playing, and narration, and right before they get to the "sexy" line, the music stops with the sound of a record needle, and then the "a little bit sexy" line is spoken.

Probably, the reporter who said it was a zipper is too young to remember record players, and that distinctive sound.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Probably, the reporter...is too young to remember ... that distinctive sound.
I'm not too young to remember it, and that's NOT the SFX I heard on the spot. It was a zipper.

What context would a needle scrape have?

Jim

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Since CNN is down in the ratings to FOXNews playing the "sex card" doesn't surprise me in the least.

On a newscast related note:

This is a true story from a person in Birmingham AL.....where they were supposed to have one of their few snow falls of the year last week...................

A female news anchor who, the day after it was supposed to have snowed and didn't, turned to the weatherman and asked "So Bob, where's that 6 inches you promised me last night?" Not only did he have to leave the set, but half the crew did too they were laughing so hard.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This all reinforces the feelings I express about CNN on my "Open Letter" thread in this category. The network is

dissolving into a bastard step-child of itself, and will soon provide no meaningful or (more importantly) trustworthy information.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Jim,

The context is that the announcer is speaking over a

news-ish music bed, talking about her accomplishments as a newsperson, as an anchor, and then, the record needle is pulled off, stopping that news-ish music, and he says, "and just a little sexy!", which obviously has nothing to do with her news accomplishments, thus no need for the news-ish music. Seems a much more plausible answer then a zipper sound.

Granted, a record needle scraped across a record does sound a lot like a zipper. I remember on some show (possibly the Gong Show), where someone was doing a rap. The first person beat boxed with his mouth, and the second zipped and unzipped his zipper, ala a scratching record. Very funny.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
In Entertaiment Weekly, a CNN representative was quoted as saying that it's not a zipper sound, but a record scratch sound. I haven't heard it myself, but that record scratch sound is used all the time, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they used now too.

/Mike

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Paula Zahn is not sexy. She is attractive in a blonde mid-West sort of way. But sexy implies you want to do her when you see her, and personally, she doesn't do it for me.

Now, Jessica Savitch in her prime! She was sexy!!

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
The record-scratch would be appropriate as a audio cue for your train of thought being derailed; after all, a list of journalistic qualities requires a bit of a train-of-thought derailing to throw in 'sexy.'

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Apparently, it's just like an audio Rorshock (sp?) test. You hear what you want to hear!!! ;)
I guess I miss my albums!

Ike

Screenwriter
Well, then everyone's perverted, because most everyone heard a zipper.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I heard a screeching record (bunch of perverts ;) )
Of course, no uproar would be heard if CBS were to air ads saying,
"Dan Rather, old, graying, and ugly as sin, next on the CBS Evening News."
Hmmm, I really wonder how the flip side of the coin would be like.....

MikeAW

Second Unit
Dome, whatever turns one on, whatever sexual orientation you prefer...SEX still sells out there in Tv Land.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
John_Bonner

A female news anchor who, the day after it was supposed to have snowed and didn't, turned to the weatherman and asked "So Bob, where's that 6 inches you promised me last night?" Not only did he have to leave the set, but half the crew did too they were laughing so hard.
That is why this guy is a news anchor and not a stand up comic. His response could have been

"Well Gracie, it is still up there. It just needs a breath of air and a warm place to land and I am sure you would be pleased to see it come down."

That would probably get him kicked off the air. I know if it were me that my flesh tones would have the viewers messing with their TV's to correct an annoying red-push.

Why the big discussion over a single ad that ran only one day. Why no discussion about the $65 million deal that Katie Couric got. Have you seen how she has let her hair grow, bleaced it blond, raised her skirts and is showing more leg and on occassion wearing knit stockings? Is it any wonder the little slut got all that money? Not that her looking a little slutty is bad. Heaven knows that at her age, she was in need of a makeover to put her Bobbsie Twins image behind her. It is a bit surprising though. Matt Lauer is pretty even handed when he deals with his interviews. She lets her liberal views come out and bashes those who don't hold those views. It will be fun to see her reaction as she ages and the network starts to groom an ingenue to replace her.

Ike

Screenwriter
I heard it again, and I think I was wrong-it does sound like a record scratch.

And it ran 10 times.

It's just a breezy distraction, and a way to beat up on those annoying 24 hour cable channels.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I said
Hmmm, I really wonder how the flip side of the coin would be like.....
Damn, that came out wrong, didn't it? :laugh:
What I meant to say was rather than selling somebody on their sex appeal, sell somebody on how truly ugly they are. That's what I meant. :D I need to do a better job of using phrases and such. :b
BTW, I am a hetersexual male, inspite of what ugly rumours anybody might've spread. :laugh:

MikeAW

Second Unit
I love the phrase they...radio and Tv news announcers...use when reporting a death due to heart attack...

"...and he/she died of an apparent heart attack."

What the heck is an "apparent heart attack" ? It's possible that a person can apparently die of a heart attack...but not of an apparent heart attack...right ?

What's interesting is this phrase is used over and over again...FOR DECADES on radio and Tv, and very stupidly !

I was cured of that when I was a radio news writer, the first week!

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I don't have a problem with that phrase. Until the autopsy is done, they do not know exactly what killed the person. It looked like a heart attack, but they cannot be sure. So it is "apparently a heart attack".

I guess a better phrase would be

"He died of what appeared to be a heart attack!"

Rob T

Screenwriter
Yuppers it aired this last weekend multiple times. It wasn't until the chairman, Jamie Kellner, saw the ad that it was pulled. Apparently the Promotions dept doesn't have to run its ads by the execs...
Yeah. Paula Zahn had no problem with it. She actually approved it. It wasn't till after it was pulled that she sad that she was offended.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks