Sexy Beast and the tale of the lame cover art.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_D, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

I absolutely cannot wait to get my hands on this disc. I've got sweaty palms. But its such a shame the cover art is so generic for such a sureal film:
    [​IMG]
    The UK cover is much more interesting.
    [​IMG]
    But the best option would have been a variation on the US soundtrack album cover. That would have made for one damn fine looking DVD.
    [​IMG]
    Anyone care to make one up. [​IMG] I sadly don't have the graphic tools.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The best cover would have been the image of Ray Winstone baking in the sun while the shadow of Don Logan streams into the frame from above. That was the UK one-sheet, which is currently hanging on my wall.

They do use it for the DVD menus, though.

M.

3. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

I'm tempted to make myself a copy of the Brit artwork and replace the American version. If anyone would like to receive a printable copy, let me know [​IMG] No promises regarding a timeframe, though.
    I might do one for Donnie Darko, too. The DVD cover art is so generic it gives me nausea :p

4. Marty Lockstead

Marty Lockstead Second Unit

Wow Paul! What a great cover on that R2 dvd of Sexy B! I didn't mind the R1 one at first, but after you showed us the R2, DAMN!! But I'm happy now that I have the movie, that's the main thing. A great transfer on the R1 disk as well. I look forward to listening to the commentary.

5. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

There is another Sexy Beast sleeve available in the UK, exclusive to a particular retailer (they often use this tactic - other examples include Planet of the Apes (2001) and Dogma ).
    Here's that version (sorry it's so small - it's the only version I could find!)
    [c][​IMG][/c]
    Ricardo, will you make your Donnie Darko sleeve available so that other people can use it?

6. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

That UK cover is excellent. I also loved the poster art that was used for that soundtrack cover.

I'm sick of the "close up of the star's face" covers. I hate that attitude that American morons must be guided to a film by showing them a star that is in it on the cover. Sadly it's probably necessary half the time at least.

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

8. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

Here are a couple more covers that I found on DVD Profiler:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It seems that that the various marketing companies are having trouble settling on a key image!

9. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Julian, those are 2 great covers. [​IMG]

10. DennisP

DennisP Stunt Coordinator

Just curious....as this is a bit off subject..but did anyone else have the sub-titles on when they watched this movie? I did and found that I got a lot more out of it then without. Sorry to say but for a American..The "Cockney" accent is like a foreign language to me. Could only catch a few phrases here and there..as they talk so fast and have their own slang.
    Just wondering [​IMG]

11. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

DennisP, I didn't understand a single word that Cavan Kendall, who played Aitch, said until his small speech at the end of the film.
    Here's another US poster that is similar to the soundtrack art.
    http://www.movieposter.com/cgi-bin/v...?pid=A70-12292
    I might get this one for my cubicle at work. Time to replace Memento. [​IMG]

12. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Hmmm....I didn't realize Ian McShane was in this film. I remember him from that great british TV series 'Lovejoy'(Would make a great DVD box set if the BBC ever decided to do one). That gives me another good reason to give this one a rent.[​IMG]

13. Richard RogersBerry

DennisP
    OI!
    Yes indeed - what fun.
    The titles were a treat. Next time I won't need them, but then again it'll be, "Eh? what, he say??" But I'll know!
    I'm not ashamed as my typin' shows - its English as a "second lanuage" for Amerikan me[​IMG]

14. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

The bottom cover of Julian's post would get my vote. Overall, DVD has produced some stunning cover-art. But, still, alot ends up being just stars' faces and the title. I would rather have an ominous or curious scene somewhat depicted on the cover as often that intrigues me far more than the faces of whoever is in the film.

Bruce

15. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer