Sex in the City

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by LanieParker, Sep 21, 2004.

1. LanieParker

LanieParker Supporting Actor

I've been thinking about adding this one in my rental que at BB. My sister in law was addicted to this show and says it was probably one of the better shows on HBO.

Right now I am working on Six Feet Under season 2 and Alias 3. I've been debating getting into either 24 or Sex in the City.

Which one do you all think I would enjoy more?

*hoping BB gets Buffy and Angel so I can rent instead of purchase*

2. Greg Madsen

Greg Madsen Second Unit

First, it is called Sex AND the City.

By what you have described I have no idea if you would like it. If you like Alias you should love 24.

3. andrew markworthy

Sex and the City will either enthrall you or have you wanting to throw something at the TV.

On the plus side - it's about a group of women talking honestly about their sexual activities and the series explores the highs and lows of what is for a lot of city-dwelling modern women their love and sex lives. There's a lot of sex scenes. [​IMG]

On the minus side - it's about a bunch of fault-finding anorexic harridans who are very hard to sympathise with because they are so wrapped up in themselves and a world that is utterly artificial and bitchy. They find themselves going out with unsuitable and usually duplicitous men (a case of birds of a feather, perhaps, but curiously that possibility is never explored) and when they get the dates from hell they deserve, they bitch about it over (diet) lunches with their equally repulsive friends. And they all have overpaid jobs that contribute not one jot to society. And the dialogue seems largely to consist of what the writers must think are brilliant epigrams but to anyone who has ever heard real speech will sound very false and contrived. I think SATC was a great opportunity lost. There is a need for a good programme exploring women's sexual attitudes and behaviour (and in fairness, SATC doesn't descend to 70s-era feminist 'all men are bastards' claptrap), but by centring on a group of over-privileged pseudo-sophisticated egotists, I think the opportunity was lost.

Guess which side of the fence I fall on ...

However, if you like Six Feet Under, you may like SATC. I'd say give it a try.

4. SharonH.

SharonH. Auditioning

Hi .. this is my first post here. I will hop on the other side of the fence as far as Sex and the City is concerned. I watched the first season of 24 and it was ok but I watch TV to escape the news and the terrible things going on in the world so the second season of 24 was not for me. I love comedy and need my daily dosage of laughter. I don't have HBO because the extra channels are just to expensive for my budget so when the cable shows were made available on DVD I was thrilled. I love Six Feet Under, Queer As Folk etc. and hopefully my video store will by carrying the second season of both these shows.

I rented Season One of Sex and the City and I was hooked. The show makes me laugh, cry and I fell in love with the 4 leads not because I can relate entirely (I live in Maine, not NYC) but I think all women can relate to some aspect of their lives. It's definatley a "chick flick" type of show.

I highly recommend the show and it will be one of the few shows that I will actually go out an buy the entire series once it is packaged on DVD. Speaking of which, anyone know why they only put out the first half of Season Six and not the whole season??

5. Greg Madsen

Greg Madsen Second Unit

Because it was aired in two parts.

I love Sex/city but a wasn't surew if the OP would. I'd have to know more of what they like.

6. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

The first three seasons of Queer As Folk have already been released. If they follow their previous model, season four should be released shortly before the fifth season premieres.

7. andrew markworthy

Sharon, good counter-argument to my rather intemperate rant.

Welcome to HTF, by the way.

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

You must really hate Oscar Wilde. [​IMG]

That's not a flippant comparison. SATC was drawing room comedy for the end of the 20th century. Like any dialogue in a fictional narrative, the speech doesn't sound like "real speech", and it isn't supposed to. (I listen to real speech all day, and it's dull as hell.) Nevertheless, the dialogue does capture a particular tone that's recognizable and familiar to many people who lived in New York City during the period portrayed, including yours truly.

As for why they split season 6 into two DVD sets, it's a little more complicated than the fact that the season aired in two parts. Previous seasons (notably season 4) had aired in two parts, but were issued as one DVD set. Season 6, however, totaled 20 episodes, of which the last one was a double episode -- so 21. The longest season previously released was 18 episodes. A cynical person might say that HBO was just trying to extract as much money from fans as possible, and they'd be right. The fact remains that season 6 was designed to be aired in two sections, with time passing in between (those who have seen it will understand what I'm referring to). And it sounds like the extras with the shorter part 2 set will be more substantial than on previous seasons.

M.

9. LindseyS

LindseyS Stunt Coordinator

Just a note to Andrew - I doubt anyone could call those women anorexic.

10. SharonH.

SharonH. Auditioning

Thanks for the welcome Andrew and I love a good TV debate [​IMG] Thanks also to Michael for explaining the two part release of Sex and the City ...

I also know the Six Feet Under and Queer As Folk have more then Season One out of DVD, just my local video store has not chosen to carry them yet [​IMG] I hear we are getting a new Block Buster so maybe their library will be more up to date.

11. andrew markworthy

Not at all - I love OW's work. It's just that whilst I can still roar with laughter at The Importance of Being Earnest, I find the 'witty' comments in SATC oh-so-smug. Personal opinion, I must stress. I think SATC is just a love it or hate it kind of thing and nobody is 'wrong' for hating or liking it. I should add that for a hetero man I have an alarming fondness for chick flicks, but SATC just leaves me cold.

12. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I suspect this is cultural. By American actress standards, these women are not particularly thin, with the possible exception of Kristin Davis. Even SJ Parker, who's very short, doesn't have that starved-model look -- and I've seen her in person. Now, most of the British actresses I see on TV lean more toward the meaty side (the only exception I can think of is Julia Davis).

M.

13. andrew markworthy

Oh absolutely; I find OW best either read (where the artificiality isn't as obvious) or on stage - like Shakespeare, it's often more convincing 'live' than on the screen.

14. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

It's funny, I find that some of the best OW productions have positively reveled in their artificiality. I agree that the filmed versions of The Importance of Being Earnest suck, but not because they are too artificial.

Another "yes" vote on Sex and the City.

Anorexic? No way. Anorexic -- Christina Ricci. Normal -- Cynthia Nixon. I've followed Nixon's NY stage career since she was a teenager (she was in The Real Thing and Hurlyburly on Broadway at the same time, and went on to star as Juliet in R&J at the Public Theater), and she has always looked totally normal to me. Parker and Davis are very short, but not too thin.

Ted