Sex in the City DVDs. How are they?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luc, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Luc

Luc Stunt Coordinator

I just started watching Sex in the City this month and find it to be a real entertaining show - smart and very different. Then I realized I missed several seasons already and would like to purchase the DVDs. How are they? And why season two is more expensive then season 1? When will season 3 be available?

2. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

GET THEM!!
    S1 has a decent picture but its soft. There are 12 episodes in that season.
    S2 is a better season and is 18 episodes. The picture is alot better than S1.
    One of the sets has a 15 min promo feature and both sets have Pro-Logic sound.
    I have no idea when S3 is coming but the first two came in the spring a year apart. So Im expecting S3 next year in the Spring.
    BTW I became a huge fan recently. I am addicted. [​IMG]
    Did you see the finale on Sunday? My sister has it taped as I went to Areosmith so I didnt get to see it. Ill watch it tonight probably.
    [Edited last by MatthewButler on August 14, 2001 at 03:17 PM]

3. Luc

Luc Stunt Coordinator

Hey, thanks for the help. I started watching it constantly about 2 weeks ago. It's showing on several HBO stations so I'm getting it like every other day. As far as have I seen the latest episode, I'm pretty sure but to be honest I'm at a lost right now. I have no idea which is the latest and which are reruns. I don't even know what season we're watching. 4th?
    But I'm going to pick up the season 1 and 2 after work. It's
    getting to be my favorite tv show.
    How is the current season and season 3 compared to the past seasons? Is it funnier? Dirtier? More serious? ect?

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I'd say that season 2 maintains the same light tone (with occasional dark spots) as season 1. Beginning with season 3, some darker undercurrents begin to emerge, but they're always balanced by the humor -- although there are a few episodes a little over halfway through that are more drama than comedy. Season 4 has been the most serious to date, but the dialogue remains as snappy as ever.
    If I had to pick, I'd say season 3 has the most explicit adult material (there's a scene with Samantha and a fireman in the opening episode that's justifiably famous). But they're all pretty explicit.
    As already noted, the series expanded to 18 episodes a season after season 1. That means an additional disc per package, which is why the season 1 set is cheaper.
    (And before anyone rushes to correct me: Season 4 does indeed have 18 episodes, but the final six won't be shown until January. If you want to know why, see this thread in the TV forum.)
    M.

5. Chris Molanphy

[Double post, sorry...]
    [Edited last by Chris Molanphy on August 14, 2001 at 04:52 PM]

6. Chris Molanphy

Re: the increasing seriousness of SatC, this New York Times article is also an interesting read.
    (Free registry required at nytimes.com to read the article.)
    It seems that Season 4 -- which I've seen very little of, because I don't have HBO and primarily watch the DVD sets -- was the most serious of all. But that's probably not a bad thing; the four characters were kind of caricatures in the first two seasons, amusing as they were.
    ------------------
    CMM

7. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

I thought the video quality of the season one discs was crap. I think it's the worst disc (set of discs) I have on my shelf. Someone mentioned that the first season was shot in 16mm and this is why the video suffers. Honestly...it looked better on TV (not digital or dish).
    Now the flipside to that is it's a great show and we probably won't see another set released with better quality video. The extras are weak, but it's the show that counts, right?
    I have no comment on the second season set as it's still sitting on my shelf in the wrap.

8. Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner Stunt Coordinator

If there's already been a thread about this (no search available right now to find out), that would be the best way of getting a wide range of opinions on video quality. But I thought the image on the first season DVD set looked like crap. I thought there was WAY too much compression just to fit all the episodes on the discs. In fact, there was so much artifacting that I thought even a VHS version would look better. I was all set to buy the set, but after first watching a friend's copy I'm grateful I didn't. Bummer.

9. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I have been watching Sex and the City since mid-Season 2. I own Seasons 1 and 2, and I cannot wait for Season 3, 4, 4.5, 5, et al to be released.
    I am currently reading the book that the series is based on and its VERY GOOD just like the show....Season 1 is paritally based on the book. I think Season 4(the one that just ended) has been the best Season so far. I just love Adian(sp?), not a big fan of Mr. Big even though he makes the show interesting. Steve is one of the best characters ever, the way he and Miranda interact with each other is great(especially in the Season 4 finally at the very end). Charlotte is an idealist and those type of ppl get on my nerves in real life as she does in the show sometimes, especially with all this baby stuff.
    If you really want to know whats going on read up on the show with the episode guide:
    http://www.hbo.com/city/cmp/insiders...de_guide.shtml
    any questions ask em here and I bet I can answer them.

10. Derek Baker

Derek Baker Stunt Coordinator

HELP! HELP! HELP!
    Being in Australia, we seem to be behind the US in episodes...but i want to know HOW far behind ?
    We just had a season finale air in Australia - i didn't get the title of the episode but it featured Sarah Jessica Parker's character (Carrie) meets up with Mr BIg for the first time after his divorce - they both fall into a pond in Central Park and go back to his place to freshen up.
    WHich season finale is this ??? Hopefully somone knows what the hell i am talking about [​IMG]
    Maybe Australia is not behind at all ? Who knows ?

11. Michael Reuben

It's the conclusion of season 3. And since there a lot of people here who haven't gotten that far, may I suggest spoiler tags?
    M.

12. SteveBjr

SteveBjr Stunt Coordinator

I like this show too...if i can ever save up some money i'll eventually buy these sets but with all the DVDs on my want list i am staying pretty broke :p

13. James Miller

James Miller Stunt Coordinator

Just bought seasons 1 & 2..... I'll agree with the "crap" posters re: season 1. Extreme graininess is the primary problem. Watchable to be sure, but distracting througout. To be more precise, Episode 1 is the reference for those statements. (extreme grain / distracting throughout) Just now getting into Episode 2, and it is a step up. Maybe Ep. 1 was a pilot thus was under technical/budgetary restraints

that might explain the Video Q. on Episode 1. (the first episode of Sopranos, Season 1 was inferior to the remainder of the episodes in that set) During that entire first season I believe they used 16mm cameras, so I aticipate the rest of Season 1 to be consistent with Ep. 2. (now into Ep. 3 and it is consistent with Ep. 2)

In all, I would rate Episode 1 at a 1/10 (the scale only applicable to DVDs, not VHS, TV quality) Episodes 2 and on

rate at ~5.1/10. Overall, Season One rates at a 5+/10.

I expect Season 2 to improve upon this rating- I'll be satisfied by a 7.

Not sure if these really did look better when originally aired- perhaps the significant loss in resolution simply decreased tbe visible grain.

I expect that SatC Season One quality is probably what I will get when delving into my Larry Sanders Season 1 set... Of course that was a good 6-7 years before SatC premiered. Only question is, will it be episode 1 or 2+ quality.

Huh, bit of a tangent here: just started watching the second epidode... I've seen this before... I didn't start watching this series in earnest until Season 4, but I apparently Tivo'd and watched a few from time to time.

14. Michael Reuben

15. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

RE: the picture quality of the Season One DVDs

Yes, the quality is bad. But the show is so good that I can overlook that. I'd love a better transfer to come out. Don't let the grain keep from from seeing these episodes!

16. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

If you catch an old s1 episode on HBO signature you will see that the DVD is the best they are going to look. The first season must have been pretty low budget.

17. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

Luc,
    I have LOVED this show since Day 1. I own both Seasons 1&2 on DVD. I agree with Max: while the transfer isn't the best I've seen, the show is so superb that I don't notice at all. It's one of the best shows ever on TV.
    I carry Season 1 with my Toshiba laptop, and use it to demo the DVD player to my friends. You'd be surprised how many people stop and watch when they hear the theme.
    I hope they release every season on DVD. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Kirk Patrick

Kirk Patrick Stunt Coordinator

Season 3 will be out on 5/21/2002 with a list of $49.95

19. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer
    Supporter

This is kind of "off topic," but
    I felt compelled to reply in this thread.
    If you love Sex in The City,
    you really need to give NBC's Keeping The Faith
    a try.
    I didn't intend to watch it, but I was home on a
    Thrusday for a change and decided to catch
    Will & Grace. Well,
    Keeping The Faith was on at 8:30,
    and I watched while I did my laundry...and laughed
    my ass off.
    It reminded me very much of
    Sex in The City,
    minus Carrie's narration.
    Tightly written, and some of the best, sharp dialog
    on television.
    Give it a try next Thursday and see if you like it.
    Mark