Sex and the City - Season 6

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Peter Kim, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

I've devoured my entire seasons 1-4 collection and I'm ready for season 6 which begins this Sunday, June 22. However, I've never subscribed to HBO - does HBO rerun past season episodes regularly? I've not seen season 5 (not yet released on dvd) so I'm not sure how much out of the loop I'd feel by going from 4 to 6.

Also, I've read (from CNN?) that this final season will be split - 12 episodes shown during this summer/fall and 8 to be shown next spring (sounds like a season 6 and an encore 7).

True? And why (really sounds like a mini-season 7)? Again, I've never subscribed to HBO and I'm still reluctant to do so - I'm not interested in the movie content, and S&tC is the only original series I'm familiar with.

Just trying to find value and justify bucks spent. Any help is appreciated!

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

3. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Thanks, Michael. I'm still vacillating whether to subscribe now, or wait until sometime in January (when the series resumes its final eight episodes). I'm guessing that HBO will air another marathon of the entire run, thus saving me from shelling out (12 + 8) * $12.99 (or whatever HBO costs).

BTW...CNN's review is mostly positive for the final season:

'Sex' still has all the buzz

CNN's Bracing for the end of 'Sex and the City'

4. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Can anyone clear up two puzzles for me? First, I haven't been able to determine whether Big's real name was ever revealed. I went back to the first episode and nothing was mentioned.

And, in the epsiode where Carrie and co. were in LA, Carrie meets with Sarah Michelle Gellar, who breaks the news that a famous celeb/producer is interested in her column. On screen, Sarah mouths 'Warren Beatty'. However, her voice is dubbed over(with her own voice, I presume) with the name of another actor, Matthew McConaughey, who we see later as said producer.

Any clues?

5. Michael Reuben

Big's name has never been revealed. It's a running joke that, whenever a situation arises (such as an introduction) where the name would naturally be spoken, something always happens to interrupt it.

There's a particularly good reference to Big's nameless status in the next-to-last episode of season 5, but I can't describe it without spoiling the episode.

Can't say I ever noticed the "Warren Beatty" reference.

M.

6. PienSavaca

PienSavaca Stunt Coordinator

from nydailynews.com....

"Like others on the show, Noth won't spill any juicy details about the coming season.

He did, however, reveal Mr. Big's first name: Fred
    ."

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Okay, I figure we can just keep everything about this season in this thread for the time being (or split up the threads for different episodes if discussion volume warrants it).

"The market, the market" Spoilers ahoy!

I think this season is off to a fast start.

I thought there were 2 good LOL moments (the poop on Miranda's face, and Wallace Langham falling out of his chair trying to shoo away the bird at the "semi-date" for Carrie).

I guess Aidan is totally out of the picture for good, perhaps. Glad they didn't include his name in the guest-starring credits, which maximized his sudden appearance as Carrie's running from Berger because she didn't want Berger to see her in casual wear.

8. Michael Reuben

For me the biggest laugh was Samantha seeing the sign for Pottery Barn and looking horrified. But that's very much a New Yorker's joke.

Charlotte and I shop at the same market.

M.

9. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Good episode, although the only time I laughed out loud was when Samantha and her neighbor were caught in bed and asked to remove the handcuffs. [​IMG]

I hope Steve will be in it more.

/Mike

10. BrianB

BrianB Producer

11. Michael Reuben

12. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

I thought this season started out very strong. I loved the Meatpacking dist. gags. A potterybarn opening up in my neighborhood would get a similar reaction!

I also hope Steve will be featured more, he's a great character.

13. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Didn't have to look very close for that. [​IMG] I figured he was working out so he could meet some chicks. [​IMG]

14. Michael Reuben

15. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

This show, the Sopranos, and Six feet under warrant the price of HBO alone. Plus you get to see all those movies for free that you don't rent or buy and never see in the theaters.

SATC is has two shows on friday nights and two shows on Saturdays. Well, not on saturdays anymore, that was the season 5 series.

And yes they rerun old seasons of all shows. Right now the Sopranos is almost to the end of Season 2 and will continue through 4 till 5 comes out.

16. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

It would have been hilarious if Ever Carradine came out of the store as Aidan's wife.

17. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    This show is the only reason I kept HBO. I know they have other quality shows, but our household TV time is limited, and this half-hour morsel is too much fun.

I liked the episode quite a bit. Aidan's cameo was awesome...very smart keeping his name out of the credits. Made the moment work.

Take care,
    Chuck

18. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

19. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Season 6, Episode 2

Another fast moving episode, though a lot of it felt like a big commercial for Tivo for Miranda's subplot.

You have to wonder how long it takes to actually film all those scenes with Samantha and the waiter in bed. I was shot at all the of position shown with very little in terms of scene transition.

The Berger-Bradshaw lack of sexual chemisty was played as awkwardly as it should be.

Charlotte's plotline was sort of the weakest of the episode for me.

20. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

You have to wonder how many people out there have a regular sexual relationship like Berger-Bradshaw's was and think that's normal and great.

Otherwise it was a great 15 minute TIVO commerical. I want one now.