What's new

Sex and the City: opinions please........... (1 Viewer)

John_McKittrick

Stunt Coordinator
I know they have like 3 seasons of this show out on DVD right now. One big question, is it a good show?? What is the nature of the show, etc? I've never seen it before and would have to get the DVD's in order to start. I don't want to make a mistake though. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

John

David Dennison

Second Unit
I think it is the best sitcom on tv right now. Why not rent Season 1 instead of purchasing it if you have reservations?

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
Excellent show. I love it.

It's not for everybody though. It is very open about sex and topics that are taboo on network TV.

If I were you I'd rent the first season and see if you like it.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
It's MUCH better than Friends + sex, MickeS. You make it sound really drab & dull. It's not. Lively plots, superb scripts, superb acting, and characters you really grow to care about.
Not at all like the charade Friends is these days. :P

Butch C

Second Unit
Basically its about a bunch of sluts who trapse around Manhattan being as shallow as possible. Watch out for the anti-traditional family/ pro-alternative lifestyle agenda.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The show certainly portrays a wide variety of "agendas" -- including the very traditional one espoused by Kristin Davis' character, Charlotte. As for the show itself, it's principal "agenda" is to be funny. I think it succeeds brilliantly, but as with all such things individual mileage may vary.

M.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't it on "Simpsons" that it was described (by Marge's sisters, I think) as "a show about 4 women who behave like gay men"? :)
/Mike

RobertW

Supporting Actor
bores the hell out of me. i'm sorry, i just can't watch this show. even if it does have kim cattrall naked. :D

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Basically its about a bunch of sluts who trapse around Manhattan being as shallow as possible. Watch out for the anti-traditional family/ pro-alternative lifestyle agenda.
Thanks for the tip, Butch! I'll be sure to watch out for it! Can you tell me what other programs push this agenda so I can set my Tivo for them?

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Brian B: :). Check QAF and Six Feet Under.
I think Sex in the City is very funny. We've only caught up with it on DVD, and have been buying from season 1. We've been taping Season 4 in reruns on HBO so that after watching Season 3, we can watch it, then watch Season 5 during the original broadcast.
The dialog is sharp, and the wit is great. I think of the characters as speaking their minds on topics that many people have opinions on, but don't speak of frequently. Certainly not on television.
Each woman on the show is specifically constructed to hold a specific viewpoint, and those viewpoints are assigned to that character. While any given character could easily be one dimensional, they play off each other in such a way that it works. Additionally, every character has been fleshed out beyond their attribute.
It's been said better before but Samantha's view of relationships is very sex-oriented, Charlotte is the traditionalist, Miranda doesn't beleive she needs a man at all, and Carrie puts it all together. Their specific views go beyond this, but it's a good start.
I'd certainly recommend giving the first season a shot. It has been consistantly better each season that passes.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Opinions huh? Here goes...
Carrie is boney, Samantha is horny, Miranda is, well who knows, and Charlotte is a hottie!
Other than that, I have no opinion. ;)
I'll watch anything with Kristen Davis in it.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Jake Gove

Second Unit
I thought seasons 1-3 were fantastic and extremely funny. However, I think season 4 just wasn't up to the quality of the previous seasons. I found myself being so annoyed with Carrie's stupid decisions with Big and Aidan and Samantha's antics (threesome, lesbian affair, etc.). Instead of being fully realized characters, they have become caricatures.

Stick to seasons 1-3!

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
There are a boatload of threads on this show, I don't know which one is more appropriate, I figured the vaguest one would do.
Anyway,
I have long been curious about this show (don't have HBO, never carred to get it, don't watch much TV). Well, at a friends house yesterday, I popped in the first disc of S1, and within 5 minutes, I was hooked. Watched the entire disc (6 eps) straight through, only stopped because I had to drive back home to CT. Holy shit, I absolutely adore this insightful and brutally honest show.
That dorky character, who confuses respecting women with being a carpet is freaking hilarious. His reaction to the "P" word in the very first episode, actually, that whole conversation, which "nice guys" (read wimps) everywhere have had at one point or another in their lives had me rolling on the floor.
I would be curious to see one of them date a regular joe, rather than some Wall Street millionaire, just for kicks, should be fun. Which reminds me of the ep about dating 20 somethig year old guys. Why are gorgeous women always wasted on fucknuts? :angry:
Sarah Jessica Parker is an absolutely radiant woman, she litterally lights up the screen when she appears. Faq, I could get lost in that hair forever. But I guess everyone knew that except me, enough of the drooling :D.
I plan on seeking out the rest of the show, I suspect it has some rewatchability, since I wish I could actually watch those eps again. I just hope it hasn't gone downhill or anything. Already, my friend told me Carrie doesn't do the woody Allen-like talking to the audience bit in later seasons. Basically, I am looking for reassurance that the show doesn't get ambitious (as in "tackling issues", like the Practice) and stop being funny.
[Edit] From reading some other threads, I am quite surprised that Mr. Big (WTF is his real name?) is still around in S4. Interesting.
--
Holadem

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
From reading some other threads, I am quite surprised that Mr. Big (WTF is his real name?) is still around in S4.
It's not what you might think, but it would be a crime to say any more. I strongly recommend staying out of the other threads if you plan to watch the rest of the series on disc, because you'll have some great episodes spoiled for you.

M.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I just hope it hasn't gone downhill or anything.
Not in the least. I'd say just the opposite - it's grown & matured exceptionally well. As Michael says though, stop reading S&TC threads, start watching the dvds!! You've got a lot of fun catching up to do.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
So Lew, did you miss the part about Holadem's only being partway through the first season? And the warnings from BrianB and me about not letting someone spoil future developments? :confused:
I've added a spoiler to your post for Holadem's sake.
M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks