Severly disapponted / What should I expect?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Matt D K, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Matt D K

Matt D K Stunt Coordinator

I just got a Pioneer DVR 210 from Santa. First DVD recorder. Replacing a JVC 65. Will use it for main DVD player as well as recorder. I have Digital/Hi-def cable and Hitachi 57" projection screen. I also hace the Time Warner Hi Def Tuner/recorder. I mainly wanted this unit to record from the hi def recorder and DV thru DVI, as well as well as our primary DVD player (which I expect ALOT from). The recorded quality from the Hi/def recoerder has been fair at best! not sure what I should have expected, but thought I would get at least DVD quality. I only have SVHS conections available for Cable to DVD recorder. Am I expecting too much from the technology available today? The playback of prerecorded DVD material is good, bot not great. If I cann not acheive the results I am looking for I would rather wait and purchase a top of the line DVD player for now and wait for better technology. Am considering the LG 7832, Samsung , or Zenith 318. Any thoughts on my situation would be greatly appreciated.

2. Brian_cyberbri

Brian_cyberbri Stunt Coordinator

So, you're trying to record HD programming on the recorder by sending the signal over an S-video cable? You can't send HD signals over S-video - all you're getting with that is the 480i. That's like trying to send water from a fire hose through a garden hose.

You'll need the proper connections, either component (3 video cords) or DVI/HDMI, which send the signal in digital format without converting it to analog (conmponent, S-video, etc.) and then back to digital.

3. Matt D K

Matt D K Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the reply Brian. I was under the impression that none of the DVD recorders (except a few with a hard drive, but still arent connected the the DVD side) have Component inputs. Is this not the case? What other ways are there to hook this machine (or any others) to Hi Def receivers?

4. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

The only DVD recorders I'm aware of (hard drive included or not) are Philips. I got a Philips DVD recorder specifically for that reason. I also purchased a DVD recorder for work since I could make window burns of our Beta SP material through component cables.

Every Philips DVD recorder I have purchased (3 in all) or even seen has component inputs. You still will not be able to make High Definition recordings though. The footage will still be downconverted to standard definition DVD.

5. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

That would be because the DVD spec is NTSC video (480i).

There are no HD DVD recorders ... there are just a handful of HD DVD players (true HD) and I don't think there are any BluRay players yet. The HD standard has not been decided by the marketplace yet.