Severely upset with FOX about buffy season 1 disc 3

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle McKnight, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I can't believe this. I just watched the last episode of Buffy on disc 2, and put in the third disc. What do I get after the FBI warning? "ARE YOU READY FOR FOX DVD VIDEO" that DAMN promo.

WHY??? They do the first two discs perfectly, and stick this crap on the third. Should I be upset over this? Well, I am. It completely pulled me out of the mood I was in while watching. Damnit.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

You couldn't just hit fast forward or chapter skip? I always do when the Fox promo starts.

M.

3. Kyle McKnight

I did. That wasn't my point, maybe I should clear up what I'm upset about. Why would Fox have the promo start on the third disc, instead of the first one? I don't mind having to skip over their promo at the beginning of a movie, and I wouldn't even have mentioned this if it had been on the first disc. But, I would like to go from one disc to the next as seamlessly as possible.
    I really do appreciate the great product Fox puts out though. It is fantastic to have this series on DVD to begin with, and everything else is top notch as far as I'm concerned (though the 30 minute pilot thingy woulda been nice [​IMG]

4. Jason Smalley

Jason Smalley Stunt Coordinator

There are some things that would warrant me being "severely upset" over a DVD. Lack of OAR, Bad Sound, Bad transfer, or lack of anamorphism (where appropriate) are things that warrant a "severely upset" response. The Fox trailer on DVD 3 of Buffy Season One is not one of them. It might be a slight irritation, but I'm simply thankful that the discs are available. There are some shows that will never be available.

5. Dustin D

Dustin D Stunt Coordinator

While not severely upset, it bugged me too. The FOX trailer tends to run a LITTLE on the loud side. I left my room with the receiver at comfortable buffy-level listening, and a minute or so later thought it was raining or there was a storm, due to some serious low-frequency noise. I go into my room, and the FOX DVD trailer was running at horridly loud volume, about to wake up everyone in the house. I was not a happy camper. Now I know not to underestimate my new subwoofer. :b
    I would just appreciate it if volume was more equalized and the trailer was a little quieter. I can see the board meeting now...
    "Now, I think we should have a trailer for FOX DVD product. But I really want it to be IN YOUR FACE!"
    Really FOX, we know you put out incredible product. I own or will own quite a few of those titles in the trailer. But lower volume would be appreciated. [​IMG]

6. Kyle McKnight

Now that the situation has passed, saying that I was "serverely upset" was just an "in the heat of the moment" response. As I stated before, I'm very glad these dvd's are available. This did bug me, but it's not that big of a deal.

7. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

8. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Those things are annoying. Not only is that trailer crappy it's also non-anamorphic and seems to have no problem with full-screen views. A bit silly that it appears alongside the 'why widescreen rules' bit in Die Hard.[​IMG]
    Oh well, they didn't do it to us on the R2. For once we win![​IMG]

9. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

If a Fox promo just randomly popped up in the middle of the movie, that would be one thing, but as far as I'm concerned, any "inconvenience" on a DVD of a television series is fair game, as long as the individual episodes are intact. I see people complain about the lack of "Play All" options, or the fact that a single episode is often put on the final disc like "The Simpsons Season 1" or "X-Files Season 2" and it amazes me. TV shows weren't meant to be watched in marathon viewings. If a Fox promo "pulled you out of the mood", what did a commercial break do DURING the show when it first aired? What did waiting a WEEK to see the episode do? Seeing a promo, pressing "play" every time you want to see a particular episode and *gasp* getting up to change discs are certainly better than watching commercials and waiting for the next episode.

10. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

11. Kyle McKnight

Bill, did you bother to read the replies before posting one directed at me?

12. Dustin D

Dustin D Stunt Coordinator

I definitely second the MGM lion. Now THAT is one loud cat! I was constantly scrambling for the remote every time I popped in a Stargate SG-1 disc. But, I think it's better now. Don't remember the same problems with Heartbreakers or Legally Blonde.

13. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    Dustin-

MGM lowered the volume of the Lions Roar several months ago. Pretty much all of the older MGM discs have it, but their newer dvds have reduced it's volume to a much saner level. Although I must say it made the THX intro sound absolutely candy-assed.