What's new

Severe problem with X-Files: Season 6 episode "Triangle" (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Actually Fox DID replicate the MR sync issue, according to Peter Staddon, however IIRC their explanation was that it happened when you changed soundtracks during the film and that if you selected dts from the start up menu, there was no problem.

Many of us tried that and it still played out of sync.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I really think you guys are gettin angry over nothing...I remember watching it on TV and it did look very dark and muddy...and grainy...thats just the way the episode was shot...thats my opinion...and personally...I never even noticed it when I got my Season 6 set and sat down and watched em all at once...I didnt even notice it...cause the entire series is dark and muddy for the most part...

Jari

Stunt Coordinator
You know there's something wrong when clips of the episode from season 6 documentary look better than the actual episode transfer itself... Especially colors.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry Joshua, but that either comes down to either a lack of observance on your part, or your setup's inability to display correctly. On my setup, the difference between episode quality is sharp and distinct. When it is played back-to-back with another episode, even casual observers notice the difference.

It's apparent that the transfer was made from a low grade copy.

-Dave

Eric Wickitt

Agent
Yeah, the transfer is dark and grainy- but there's no excuse for not noticing that 'DOUBLE widescreen BARS' thing... what the hell happened there?
As far as Fox "pretending" like Chris Carter approves of this mess,.....it looks to me like they're opening their own X-File and you HTF'ers are gonna get yo' Dana Scully on and crack this mofo wide open.
Good Luck. I'll be observing from the misty shadows.
- cigarrette smoking man
;)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the transfer is dark and grainy- but there's no excuse for not noticing that 'DOUBLE widescreen BARS' thing... what the hell happened there?
The aspect ratio change is essential to facilitate the splitscreen effect and has always been a part of the episode.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
There is no excuse for this. I taped a re-run of this episode just for comparison purposes and my vhs copy looks so much better then the DVD version!

This is unacceptable. We all know this was an experimental episode, and I accept that some scenes may look off or grainy due to low light, however the episode on the DVD is clearly taken from an inferior master! Like previous posters have said...all you have to do is look at the opening and closing credits (which have nothing to do with the episode itself) and you will see just how poor the quality is on that master. The graphics are fuzzy, and sometimes illegibal.

I don't care how much it costs..they need to replace this. This episode would not meet broadcast standards due to its poor video quality. It has nothing to do with the lighting conditions...its obviously a bad transfer taken from an inferior master!

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Hey Im just saying that I didnt notice a single thing wrong when I first watched my Season 6 set...didnt know until I read this thread...

Greg_P

Stunt Coordinator
I had been on the fence about finishing off my X Files collection with seasons 8&9. Since Carter doesn't seem to want to put the best product on the market for dvd enthustiasts, I'll now pass on seasons 8&9.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I've been on the fence about Season 7, but like others said, this helps me make the decision to save $100, as well as think twice about other Fox box sets.

Eric Wickitt

Agent
The aspect ratio change is essential to facilitate the splitscreen effect
Did the episode air in widescreen? Or can you tell there's a ratio change from the full frame imgage?

Either way, sounds to me like it's a done deal. Pony up for the rest of the seasons.......like I'll be doing,...or ........ don't. Chris Carter and Fox probably won't lose much sleep either way.

HEY! Why don't one of you guys start one of your online petitions! Yeah! That might bring them to their senses...!

Nah, probably not.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Unlike some, i'll still get the rest of the seasons. What can I say, I'm a completist.

Jari

Stunt Coordinator
Yep that clearly shows the low quality we've been speaking of. I'd prefer to watch the episode even as a non-anamorphic presentation (like the season 6 documentary presents it) than in it's current form. Can somebody inform Peter Staddon to check these screengrabs?

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Are those screengrabs or digital pictures from a TV?

But, hate to be a butthead, but I don't see a huge difference. There appears to be some color timing differences but there's not way to tell which one is correctly timed as per Carter's wishes.

If we really want to convince them we need to do some comparative screengrabs of the location titles, that's where I've seen the best indicator of poor quality as titles shouldn't be degraded even if the footage is supposed to be.

Esten

Supporting Actor
Chad,they are screengrabs taken with PowerDVD.

Screencaps from the title legends are a-coming.

Esten

Supporting Actor
I have no way of capturing from a videotape,and there are no legends from the ep in the documentary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks