What's new

Severe problem with X-Files: Season 6 episode "Triangle" (1 Viewer)

Michael Sliger

Second Unit
That's pretty weird. How does Carter explain the seemingly random shift of aspect ratio to produce black bars at 33m? That's intentional??
It appears that the aspect ratio shift for Act 4 was intentional. It happened in the broadcast master as well (at least on my off-air copy of the episode from FX). All of the split-screen sequences (showing the same hallway in both time zones) were in this act. I assume that the altered aspect ratio led to a better composition for those sequences.

I can't imagine that TCFHE would announce to the public (albeit quietly) the replacement disks months ago and not talk to Ten Thirteen about the situation until now to see if the episode quality was off on the DVD. Something smells fishy here.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Well...I didnt really ever find it to be as bad as some were saying...but its still watchable...oh well...

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
DAMN that Stinks!

If this is true i wonder if it's possible fox got alot more calls for replacements than actual sales of S6 ?? People trying to take advantage and get a free disc they just said screw it all together. But then again probably not since all they would have to do is change the policy and make us send in the disc for a replacement.

BobG

Stunt Coordinator
Apparently, under the insistance of the big man himself, Chris Carter, there will be no replacement disc. I just called the number and they read a statement from Carter and Ten Thirteen productions saying they approved of the episode transfer.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
What BobG said. Last news I heard was that the episode is presented as intended (purposely degraded, apparently) and there will be no re-pressing.

Chuck Parker

Agent
yep, no replacements are being issued. In my procrastination, I didn't call the number until yesterday afternoon, and was read the statement from Chris Carter and 1013 that the Triangle transfer is the approved one, and thus, no replacement discs will be offered.

-chuck

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Perhaps now Fox can persuade Baz Luhrmann to prepare a statement that says the DTS track on my Moulin Rouge disc is in sync?! :D

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Julian, as Fox has stated, they cannot replicate your problem. If it's really that much of an issue, I suggest you offer to them during the next chat to pack up your HT and ship it over to Fox.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I also have had no problem with MR DTS, and that disc should have a hole in it for as many times as it spins in my house.

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
I love listening to the prepared statements. It's clear every stickler regarding every angle, lighting, aspectio ratio, etc. has called and complained. It sounded almost like Carter had disdain for people asking questions about that stuff.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
There is no basis for that deduction. When I called, I never even mentioned any problem - I just mentioned the replacement disc.
-Dave

Wilson W

Agent
how many people here would buy the "intended" crap in carter's statement.

this statement treats the x-files fans as idiots, blaming obvious manufacture defects as intended effects. and the credits were supposed to be unreadable as well?

x-files are the most expensive dvd sets on the market and the very least it could do is to keep the quality on par with the price.

if this is not resolved properly, i will not buy another set.

David_Roberts

Auditioning
I agree. I'm not upset with Fox but quite disappointed by Carter. Until this situation is mended I too will not purchase another set. The sixth season is where The X-Files started to go downhill for me. I don't know that it technically "jumped the shark" there, but the quality certainly began to get uneven. The completist in me would like to have the whole series just for the sake of collectibilty, but this is where I will draw the line.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
My thoughts exactly, David. I'd like to have the whole set, but I'm certainly open to the idea of saving myself a few hundred dollars.

If Carter doesn't care, why should I care enough to buy it?

-Dave

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Julian, as Fox has stated, they cannot replicate your problem. If it's really that much of an issue, I suggest you offer to them during the next chat to pack up your HT and ship it over to Fox.
Jeff, this problem has been reported by numerous HTF members, with all kinds of different HT setups. It's astonishing that Fox, can't replicate such a widespread problem.

If there was a legit problem, but only a small percentage of obsessives were complaining about it, why would Fox bother doing anything about it? If they admit to their error, and set up an exchange problem, it would cost them a lot of money to placate a few dozen hardcore complainers.

JohnDoe

Auditioning
According to Bill Hunt at the Digital Bits, Fox Home Entertainment has now "changed their tune", and will NOT be issuing replacement discs for "The X-Files" Season 6 episode "Triangle".
Here is a copy of the email I just sent him:
Hey Bill,
The X-planation that Fox and Ten thirteen have recently provided is a bold-faced lie. My friend who works for Fox Home Video, told me in confidence that it came down to a matter of money. Apparently fewer than 300 people responded to the toll-free number to request their free replacement discs. The truth (according to my source who works there)is that Fox just wouldn't justify the cost of nearly $40,000 to remaster/transfer, manufacture and mail only 300 replacement discs. Also, I was told that Ten Thirteen did not provide Fox with the original master for that episode, but only a copy (the original master is in Chris Carter's possession); and in addition to the money issue, Chris feels that the DVD version is adequate enough, and that the fans should be satisfied with it. They (Fox and Ten Thirteen) came up with the excuse that the episode is suppose to look crappy on purpose? This is total bullshit, and a complete lie! My own personal video tape copy looks better than the DVD. In addition to the end titles being blurry, the episode's catalogue number itself is missing from the end of the credits, and the 20th Century Fox logo is distorted. Also the blacks in the background of the episode are of a slightly "greenish" tint. If you compare these additional "errors" to the other episodes on the disc, anyone would obviously see the difference. Oh, and none of these mistakes were on my original network broadcast videotape...
I believe that you should bring this to Peter Staddon's attention, and tell him that the consumers who bought this set are not buying Fox's obvious excuses and atttempts at deception. Of all the millions of dollars they have made from us, it is totally inexcusable that they are refusing to accept responsibility and re-issue a corrected disc.
-John Doerr
Hey Ten Thirteen and Fox Home Video, WE ARE NOT AS STUPID AS YOU THINK WE ARE!!! It is my opinion, that Fox should take a cue from Universal who (despite the cost), corrected and re-issued the "Back to the Future" discs without making excuses or lying to the consumers. Shame on you Fox, shame on you!!!
-John:angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks