What's new

Severe problem with X-Files: Season 6 episode "Triangle" (1 Viewer)

MichaelO

Stunt Coordinator
Mine does the same thing. I just assumed that it was the way they recorded the episode, wasn't Triangle shot differently than all other X-Files? I was thinking i read that it was filmed live, one take or something like that. Still, why does it change aspect ratios? If there is a better master I hope Fox takes care of us.

Esten

Supporting Actor
Could someone take a screen-cap of this episode,so we can see how good/bad it looks?

Jim Pattison

Stunt Coordinator
I compared the DVD with the same episode on my Japanese laserdisc. The laserdisc looks much better. The text in the lower left-hand corner of the screen is much clearer on the laserdisc.
One note: the change in aspect ratio noted in a previous post is present in the laserdisc version as well, so this is probably in the source, and not a problem with the DVD.
Jim

Michael Sliger

Second Unit
My DVD set just arrived yesterday (Total Action Universe, the Priority Mail sticker on the side of the shipping box was very humorous). I pulled out my off-air copy of the episode (FX version since the picture quality of my FOX broadcast version was too horrid to keep) and did a comparison myself. The aspect ratio change at 33 min is supposed to be there. It was done to allow for a good composure of the split-screen work in that act. My VHS version seems to be a bit more zoomed in that act, so we may be getting a bit more picture on the DVD. The credits were broadcast in 4x3. It looks like Fox Home Video didn't want to create another credit sequence with the German tagline, but at least they didn't leave out the altered tagline as they did for a Season 2 episode. My VHS version is very blurry as well, but the burnt-in captions are clear (and are larger). I am not sure what happened there.

My guess is that due to the large amount of video editing needed for the last act, Fox Home Video had to use a videotape master of the episode instead of making a Hi-Def master from the original negatives. This led to a somewhat blurry picture after conversion to MPEG-2 (like the ST:TNG disks). Since this episode looks better than some over-compressed ones in earlier sets ("Hell Money" and "Paper Hearts" are very blocky in dark scenes on my system) and is leaps and bounds better than my VHS version, I don't feel like complaining loudly. I would like the best picture possible though.

Esten

Supporting Actor
Just got my set in the mail,and checked the episode.It's definitely lower quality than the other episodes,but i'm only viewing it on a regular NTSC tv,so i'm sure it looks worse on better equipment.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I'm still waiting for this from TAU, along with my Friends Season 2 from TAU which still hasn't arrrived yet either.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
My set finally arrived, and I immediately went to check out "Triangle". It's funny how big a role expectations play in one's experience. I was so prepared to be horrified by the image after reading this thread that I found myself relieved that it was eminently watchable. Its significantly better than the broadcast I saw (which was often so dark that you could barely make out what was happening), and stands head and shoulders above such things as the Manhunter director's cut.

Anyone who thinks their VHS copy looks better than the disc is welcome to watch that. I can settle for the DVD image. It would be nice, though, if we could get an official explanation regarding the elements and transfer for this particular episode.

M.

Esten

Supporting Actor
I wish a store around me carried the movie,so i could use the $2 off coupon that was included in the set.:frowning:

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
The 20th Century Fox website lists the e-mail address for it's home video division as [email protected]. I just now e-mailed them about the problem and included a link to this thread. Hopefully they'll reply with information about a recall.

AdrianOC

Stunt Coordinator
According to Peter Staddon they're now looking into it.

Hopefully we'll have a resolution soon.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Bumping this thread up...

I just got Season 6 for Christmas, and "Triangle" looks like a bad VHS dub! It's as poor looking as any Scimitar or other off-brand DVD product has ever looked, which is totally unacceptable for a $150 boxset from Fox.

Has there been an update on this problem?

-Lyle J.P.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Mr. Staddon said not to expect anything till the late Jan/early Feb timeframe. You can be assured that if he's looking into it, the problem will be resolved.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
For future reference, the pertinent information is as follows:

All you have to do is call 1-888-223-2FOX (or 1-888-223-2369) to arrange a replacement. We suggest that you wait until the discs are actually available before making the call (reportedly in a few weeks - try in early to mid February).

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Peter Staddon RULES.! :D
Thanks to Fox, and Mr. Staddon. This could've been "swept under the rug", but this truly shows their commitment to quality.
-Dave

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Weird, I dont remember any problems with the episode looking bad when I watched it in Nov. I'll have to check it out.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I'll be glad to get this. The original transfer was so bad that I couldn't even begin to enjoy the episode when I watched the DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks