Seventh Seal: Could someone help me out with the ending?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Raphael, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Raphael

Raphael Stunt Coordinator

Just saw the film, and am puzzled by the ending, its significance, etc. Could someone help me out with what it might mean? Otherwise it was a darned good film; I should see it again when I'm not so tired like the first time.

2. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

The ending can be open to interpretation. All throughout the film, the Knight, Antonius Block, viewed Death as an fiercesome enemy to be feared and reviled. The ending, which

shows the main characters dancing with Death

is Bergman telling us that Death is not as scary as we think it is, and it is pointless for us to worry about it.

3. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I'm not quite sure what version of Seventh Seal you were watching, but I highly recommend the Criterion Collection disc. On it, there is an audio commentary that sort of gives an explanation/interpretation of the ending.
    If memory serves me right, the commentator said the whole "dance" with Death at the end has something to do with the Book of Revelations in the New Testament. Try that on and see if that helps you out.

4. andrew markworthy

WARNING - SPOILERS AHEAD.

I'm not sure which bit of the ending you're referring to, but I assume it's the bit where all the dead characters are seen in silhoutte on the ridge of the hill. The scene is a reference to medieval paintings of the souls of the dead being led by Death in a dance. There's also some debate about whether the number of people in the shot is a reference to a passage in the Book of Revelations. The movie ends on an optimistic note - the juggler and his wife and young baby survive, indicating that in the midst of even unremitting misery, there is hope.

If you liked the Seventh Seal, and would like to see one of Bergman's later movies dealing with death, try Cries and Whispers in the excellent Criterion edition.

5. Raphael

Raphael Stunt Coordinator

There were several versions of the film? I wasn't aware of that. How different are they? I saw the Criterion edition.