Seven Samurai scheduled for a theatrical re-release

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor
Reaction score
According to Zap2it.com :
There's much more to this article, including news on other potential Kurosawa re-releases, so click the link above if you're so inclined.

Edwin Pereyra

Producer
Reaction score

Kevin Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
(Raises Eyebrow) So if these are the first "new Prints" made in decades, I assume struck from a negative source, will we get a new DVD showing off these "new prints" since Criterion was apparently not supplied with the best of elements for their previous DVD Release of Seven Samurai? They did a great job with what they had but if better prints are available then we would of course love to see them in our collections.
Assuming that any of this is true to begin with.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Reaction score
I'm not going to hold my breath that this will play other than maybe one night as part of the film series at the arts center in town. That's bascially what happened with Ran, and I don't foresee this getting a weeklong run anywhere. (I think Rear Window only survived a week, and if that can't do it, well...) Nice to see they're doing this, but I expect all this means for most people is a potentially new DVD.

Edwin Pereyra

Producer
Reaction score
Every year it seems like opening weekends on blockbuster films keep getting bigger and bigger. Is it getting to the point that films make so damn much money in their first three days, is because hardly anybody gets turned away due to sellouts.
I'm afraid you could be right considering 2001 can't even get a national re-release.

~Edwin

Paul W

Second Unit
Reaction score
Damn, I hope I get to see this!

Brook K

Lead Actor
Reaction score
This was also listed in EW's recent "Summer Film Preview" issue. Hope it makes it hear, Atlanta gets some of the re-releases - Ran, Rear Window, Third Man, Sunset Blvd., to name a few recent ones, but doesn't really seem to get any of the Rialto ones like Obscure Object.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Rob
This would be an awesome flick to see on the big screen. Here's hoping....

Rob

Rich Malloy

Producer
Reaction score
(Raises Eyebrow) So if these are the first "new Prints" made in decades, I assume struck from a negative source, will we get a new DVD showing off these "new prints" since Criterion was apparently not supplied with the best of elements for their previous DVD Release...
My eyebrows have lifted all the way over the horizon and are now residing on the back of my neck...

Criterion is doing this with the newly restored elements of "Beauty on the Beast", so there is certainly precedent (or will be) on their end. Unfortunately, TOHO is reputed to be very difficult to deal with in terms of getting good elements and distribution rights. Then again, Criterion seems to be the only company with a consistent relationship with Toho, so who knows? And they did address Toho's concerns about the "restoration demo" on the first printing of SAMURAI...

Bruce Hedtke

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Well, I'm under no illusions here and I know that I will have to make a trip to Chicago to see it. Not a problem but since no dates have been announced, it's hard to make plans.

Bruce

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Oh if this was coming to Vancouver, I'd be on the next ferry. Actually, I'd be on the one before that one.

Jason

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Here in Glasgow they held a weeklong screening of Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Rashomon and The Seven samurai. Great movies and from next week onwards, they will show in Edinburgh more movies like Ikuru, The Hidden Fortress, Red Beard and others.
Guess I will be going again to see these movies.
Oscar Merkx

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Blockbusters should have no effect on a city getting this. Either you have a serious arthouse or you don't, simple as that. Luckily in Indy I would bet that Keystone will get it...they ran Hard Day's Night for a month for example.

And the Houston arthouse on Gray Rd (3 screens) had Rear Window for 2 weeks as I recall. I was lucky enough to see it during that run. I can see them also having 7 Sam for a week or 2.

I've never seen a Kurosawa on anything bigger than my home theater screen (and therefore not from a film source), so I would love to catch this.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Holy cow! This is what I get for just paying attention to thread titles. I was thankful enough that Seven Samurai would be making the rounds, but I finally clicked the article link, and saw this...
Stray Dog? High and Low? Throne of Blood?? Oh yes. Oh yes, I am most appreciative!

Thankfully, 3 new arthouses have opened here, and we already had an old one, so chances look pretty good for me and my fellow Dallasites.

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frugalfart