What's new

seven samurai question (1 Viewer)

Tanner

Stunt Coordinator
Ive asked this a while back did a search, found the post, but the links with the answers are dead. How can i tell the difference between the first and second printings of Criterions Seven Samurai? thanks

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
The first edition had an additional comparison feature about the film's restoration, using about half a dozen scenes. It is not mentioned on the jacket. This was removed at the insistence of Toho Films.

The first version also had the English subtitles as removable, but I believe Toho also requested that these be left on full time (ie burned to the video master). I could be wrong on this one.

Tanner

Stunt Coordinator
Im sorry, I should have been more specific. I know what the differences are on the disk. What I need to know is how to identify which disk is which by the outer packaging. thanks.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
I'm interested in picking this disc up myself. Should I be looking for or avoiding the first version of the disc?

greg_t

Screenwriter
If you want a first pressing, be prepared to pay. The last one I saw on ebay ended Aug. 9th at $83. The second pressings seem to go for $30-40. Too bad, as I would like to see the feature on the films restoration, but I'm don't think I want to pay that much for a first pressing.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Easy, first edition runtime = 204, second edition runtime = 207. Also the placement of the UPC (barcode) on the back cover is different on the different versions.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
The first version also had the English subtitles as removable, but I believe Toho also requested that these be left on full time (ie burned to the video master). I could be wrong on this one.
You are. When Toho found out the sub were removable, they demanded that Criterion encoded the disc for Region 1 only. The subs are still removable though.
So the first pressing is All Region, and the second pressing Region 1. This is also noticeable on the back cover: look for de R1 logo between the Mono Sign and the Macrovision Logo.
BTW: all subsequent Kurosawa films from Criterion are also R1 only.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I didn't know Criterion had any non-R1 releases. You learn something new every day ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks