Seven Samurai on DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Saburo, Nov 23, 2001.

1. Saburo

Saburo Auditioning

I'm ready to get this on DVD since my CLV laserdisc seems to be growing laserrot by the month...

Just curious if there is any noticable difference between the LD and DVD pictures. Also is the quality the same for the different pressings for the Criterion DVD?

Thanks for any feedback.

2. Raphael

Raphael Stunt Coordinator

I don't know about the LD release, but I couldn't imagine there would be any discrepancy between the LD transfer and the DVD. If anything, the DVD should be sharper.
    Transfer between the two Criterion pressings is exactly the same; the only difference is that the second one is minus the Restoration footage that shows the difference between the old version and the restored version. It was removed due to Japanese copyright issues. [​IMG]

3. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Also some DVD Players have a problem with the layer change, my Yamaha freezes & stops the disc at the change over but my older Pioneer LD/DVD player has no problem at all.

4. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>Transfer between the two Criterion pressings is exactly the same; the only difference is that the second one is minus the Restoration footage that shows the difference between the old version and the restored version. It was removed due to Japanese copyright issues.

5. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Rights issues always puzzle me. I mean really, how in the hell do you lose the rights to something as trivial as a restoration demo? What's the Japanese company going to do with it? Dance around and say "HA HA, we have your precious restoration demo!!!".
    Oh yeah, definitely pick up Seven Samurai on DVD. Inspite of all the critical acclaim it gets, it's still a pretty well-done action flick.

6. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

7. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Isn't there also a difference in subtitles? Aren't they burned-in on the second pressing & optional on the first?

-Dave

8. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

No, that's an entirely fictitous rumour.

The subtitles on the second pressing are optional from the menu or on-the-fly.

9. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone compared the quality of the Criterion edition with that of the (R2) British Film Institute edition?