Seven problems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee_eel, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Lee_eel

Lee_eel Second Unit

I recently watched this dvd (Region 2)and was shocked to discover that the film had bad compression artefacts in the backgrounds for the majority of the film. I had read several reviews of the film saying it had excellent picture quality with some very brief, hardly noticeable artifacts.
    I have a Sony s735d player and do not normally have any problems at all with artefacting. That includes discs like Pitch Black and Aliens which obviously would show up any preblems if my player was at fault. i have cleaned the lens using a disc cleaner and i have also checked the surface of the dvd for marks or dust but it is perfectly clear. I can't even take it back bacause i have had it for a year! (i started a new job and have only just got around to watching it believe it or not!)

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

What kind of artifacting? Is it the 2 disc version or the single?

If you've had it a year, I'm afraid you're probably stuck

3. Lee_eel

Lee_eel Second Unit

It's the two disc edition. I can only describe the artefact as pixel break-up. Where you would normally expect to see a smooth background you can see areas of the background moving about then returning to normal for a few seconds before breaking up again. This carries on through the entire film but is far more noticeable in dark backgrounds. I own Fight Club which has the same type of picture and there are absolutely no problems at all.
    It might sound strange but the picture is excellent apart from the one problem. However, its just too distracting to be enjoyable.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It's not a defective disc, that's probably part of the master. I assume this is the PAL version? The NTSC version is pristine, but I've never seen the PAL