seven JBL's w/sub, powered by Yam HTR-5490?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ray porco, Jul 15, 2002.

1. ray porco

ray porco Auditioning

first, let me say that i have been following "home theater forum" for about a month now and have found it above all - educational. it is extremely informative and very organized. everyone is so helpful. i don't consider myself audiophile or even remotely on par with most who post here (however, i have had surround since around 1986. my occupation has been largely involved in theater construction), but i find myself checking in almost nightly during my surf-time. cudo's to mr. epstein and mr. clack.

well, i am in the market.
    i have decided on (largely due to mr. phil iturralde and mr. mark knight - but mostly based on an audition which totally impressed) six jbl s36ii, one jbl s-centerii, and the hsu vtf-2.
    i must now decide on the power plant and that is my question.
    am considering/have narrowed the decision to either the yamaha htr-5490, yamaha rx-v1200, denon avr-3802, or denon avr-1082.
    the perplexing question is whether it's worth paying the extra money for the extra amp or running the rear's in series and hoping the yamaha will perform?

thanks,
    ray porco

2. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

Yamaha is 6.1, Denon is 7.1

3. ray porco

ray porco Auditioning

thanks for the response, brian.
    i am aware of that.
    perhaps i was not clear enough.
    please re-read my last question?

thanks,
    ray porco

4. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

just wondering....have you considered skipping the s-center and using an s36 as a center channel?

5. Brian Warren

Brian Warren Stunt Coordinator

ya got 7 speakers so ya need a 7.1. have you considered s38's up front to improve the front sound stage

6. Brian Burgoyne

Have you already bought the speakers?

If so, then get a Denon 3802 from 6th ave for $699.

If not, and you want to stick with the yamaha, why not just run a single speaker instead of wiring them up serial? Just use a S center.

7. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

Ray,
    If you go with the Yamaha, I would recommend buying three pairs of S36's. Use one as the center channel and the other as the center-surround. If you do go with a Yamaha I would recommend the rxv-1200 over the htr-5490 because it has pre-outs for all channels and it has a detachable power cord.

I personally have the rxv-1200 and I love it. The pre-outs are a nice feature if you get the upgrade bug and want to add external amplification. That way you can still use the yammy as the processor.

8. Jason Wilcox

i agree with nick

9. ray porco

ray porco Auditioning

thanks all. i will attempt to respond.

to brian b.

no i have not bought the speakers yet.
    i'm aware of that deal. it IS a very good deal, thanks.
    i have a window that is directly rear center.

to brian w.

i auditioned the s38's and my listening tastes:
    1. flat is good
    2. good articulation (bright clear vocals)
    3. natural bass(good low-level detail and pitch resolution)
    4. not boomy (bass frequencies that do not dominate and
    are tight and clean)
    5. not excessively warm (no excessive exaggeration of mid
    and upper bass ranges)
    dicate the 36's.
    i know you might disagree but a noted poet (john hume[spell check]) once said "facts are disputable, taste is not".
    i'm also about 80/20 movies/music'

to jason and nick

i think dolby recommends all speakers the same, but i think the main reason they do is to assure timbre matching. i know in movie theaters that the 3 front mains are (in most cases) the same, but movie theaters are much bigger than the average home theater, and the side walls are generally acoustically treated. further, surrounds are not identical to mains.
    paraphrasing: priority one is to get center midrange clear and natural. room reflections (home vs. theater, small vs. large) garble sound, therefore controlling directivity comes into play. using 2 woofers has the advantage of directing the midrange energy forward, thereby reducing reflections from the room's side walls. this however, causes beaming, restricting the optimal listening positions to a very narrow zone. when deciding to use a dual woofer center, the design should be a 3-way (four drivers) incorporating a separate midrange driver positioned below the tweeter (in vertical plane) to assist midrange frequency dispersion, opening up the optimal listening locations. the tweeter should also not be in the same horizontal plane with the midwoofers.

question, jason and nick: what orientation would you suggest for the s36 as a center?

further, the jbl scenterii has smaller woofers than the s36.
    it has a higher frequency response 75hz - 20khz vs. 60hz -20khz for the 36. it also has higher crossover frequencies, 800hz, 3200hz vs. 650hz, 300hz for the 36.
    clearer on vocals.

but no one has yet answered my question. do you think the yamaha can drive 7 speakers as such???

thanks,
    ray porco

10. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

If you're dead set on 7 speakers, go with the Denon. It also has quite a bit more power than the Yamaha. The yamaha probably can (I haven't tried, I have a single surround-back) drive the 7 speakers if you run the 2 surround back's in series. But, the Denon can do it better.

11. Brian Burgoyne

ditto [​IMG]

12. Jason Wilcox

as for orientation of the s36 as center.....simply horizontal shifted ever so slightly to the left to keep the higher, more localized frequencies coming from the center of the display.

You'd have perfect timber matching all the way around with an s36 as center....as you said the s-center has 5 1/4" woofers and is made of plastic...

the only reason not to go with an s36 as center in my opinion is for aesthetic reasons...

13. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Hi Ray - once you're all setup, like Mark Knight, you will enjoy the same neutral, uncolored, detailed, and spatially accurate sound quality heard by the pros!!! [​IMG]

14. ray porco

ray porco Auditioning

thanks to all.

hi phil,
    your post was positive reassurance for my decision of choosing the jbl's. thanks.
    i auditioned the 36's at bestbuy. i know, i know - i should really listen to them at home, but it if they perform half that damn good .......
    what made me consider the yamaha, is that that's what bestbuy was using to power them. i read somewhere (i think at this forum) that if you really look for the receiver that most stores use to demo, more often than not it's a yamaha. can't speak for all, but in this case - yes, and man it sounded.

however there are some things i'm still uncertain (agonizing over?).
    i've considered the pros and cons of what's important to me.

rx-v1200 vs. avr-3802

pros:
    2 coaxial digital inputs vs. 1 for denon
    60 mhz component video bandwidth vs. 27 for denon
    $150 to $200 cheaper than denon
    slight sound preference for music listening vs. denon

cons:
    6 amps vs. 7 for denon
    80 watts per channel vs. 110 for denon
    no bass management (high pass is set at 90 hz) vs. choice of
    three cross-over frequencies 80, 100, and 120hz for denon.

one last question.
    read over your link "how many watts for home thea" and your spreadsheet compilation of stereo review's sound and vision test results, "mfg. pub. pwr. rating x 5 ch & thd % vs. actual test results".
    the v-1200 looks kinda weak. do you know if the 3802 was tested? if so, could you share the results?

thanks,
    ray

15. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

16. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Ray, I also have a window directly in the middle of the rear wall (small room) and have my 2 rear centers wired in series positioned about 4-5 feet apart on each side of the window. You will have no problems with this approach. Since there is no 7.1 software, they'll be playing the same mono signal on the 3802 as they would on the Yamaha. My personal preference would be for the Denon 3802 if prices were fairly close between the two. $700 for the 3802 is a full $300 less than the retail price that brick&mortar stores have been charging and seems like a steal. I'm not sure if 6ave has any left at this point judging by how many people over in the receivers forum scooped them up [​IMG]
    cheers,
    --tom