What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Seven Brides For Seven Brothers (1 Viewer)

moviebear1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Spero
Is there any work being done for a Blu-ray of Seven Brides For Seven Brothers?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
No news yet. The best people to ask would be Warner Archive. They do respond to requests on their Facebook page. WHE put out a DVD in 2004 that included both the CinemaScope and flat versions, but I'm sure that George Feltenstein and Co. at Warner Archive would want to at least update the master on the CS version.

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
I can't imagine what more work needs to be done other than pressing and releasing it as there has been a DCP available

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Given that the DCP is derived from a 13-year old harvest, I imagine Warner Archive would still like to see what could be gleaned from a 4K scan, or even a newer 2K scan.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Matt, obviously, this is a title wanted by many on Blu, including me, and I'd be very pleased if there is news that work is being done on SBFSB. It's been discussed quite often here at HTF over the years and the consensus at this time is that with the film elements available now it would be cost prohibitive to restore to Warner's high standards for Blu release. Hopefully, something will change, possibly a more cost-effective method for restoration, a better film element will surface or...? We can always hope.

Last edited:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Warner's been doing some great work lately with AnscoColor elements [Brigadoon, anyone?], but the problem with Brides may be wear and tear on the elements, as MGM did a late 60s 70mm blowup, and I wouldn't be surprised if the used the OCN rather than a later gen element to do so.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
I don't get it. It's 10+ years into the Blu-ray era and the best we get is " it needs work, maybe someday."

This is like War of the Worlds and Thing '51 -- just give us the best you can currently manage. we won't cry foul if you do a better version later!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
With Warner’s, that’s not gonna happen. They will not release any title that is not up to their standers. War of the Worlds is just because Paramount is holding on to it. They would release it at what they have, but continues to hold it in their vault.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
There is such a thing as being too fussy. I for one don't care if perfection can't be attained, so long as the increased resolution benefits large-screen projection.
And of course the same holds true for the Fred and Ginger canon of works, so so overdue for Blu ray release!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
There is such a thing as being too fussy. I for one don't care if perfection can't be attained, so long as the increased resolution benefits large-screen projection.
And of course the same holds true for the Fred and Ginger canon of works, so so overdue for Blu ray release!
Agreed on all counts (Although I don't have large screen projection!), but unfortunately, that doesn't change Warner's policy regarding the release of their Blu-ray titles.

CHEERS! :)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Put yourself in the position of WB, for just a moment. You own the largest film library of any of the major studios, and have 2 13-year old masters which were used for a special edition DVD; one in CinemaScope and a "flat" master in 1.75:1. You pull them out of the vault to see how good they look, keeping in mind the numerous technological advances that have been made in harvest technology and digital cleanup. The master was "good enough for DVD", but shows some issues, not only with scanning technology, but methods of cleanup. You are needing to gauge demand for the title and whether or not a rescan and issue on Blu-ray is feasible. Your studio has been pulled on the carpet on prior occasions for releasing masters that, in the minds of the "armchair experts" out there, are not up to snuff. Examples? 2001: a space odyssey, The Fugitive, the Extended Editions of Lord of the Rings, etc., etc. Since then, fans have come to regard you as one of the premier studios when it comes to issuing classic product on physical media.

Your options are as follows:
1. Scan elements for both editions, cleanup and release on BD, either to retail or through Warner Archive;
2. Scan the CinemaScope elements, cleanup and release through Warner Archive, with the 2004 1.75:1 master pressed to disc as a bonus feature;
3. Same as above, only including the 1.75:1 master in SD as a bonus feature
4. Use the 2004 masters for both and release through Warner Archive [what I call the KLSC route]

My preference, obviously, is for #1, with #2 not too far behind; I adore the CinemaScope version and view the flat version as fascinating, but not essential. #4 is unacceptable, and #3 is only acceptable if all that is available is an SD master for the flat version, which I seriously doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WoutV
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale