What's new

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1 Viewer)

MrsMac

Agent
Real Name
Kim Andrew
Any news on whether this will be released on blu-ray? And if so, please let it have either CC or English subtitles!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Well, bless your beautiful hide...for some reason, this movie rarely comes up on musical wish lists. It's probably up there on people's mental most-wanted lists, but we haven't discussed it overmuch. I think it's because of the general apathy that Warners has shown the MGM musical canon in general. All these years, and still only a small handful of MGM musicals are on blu. Why that is, I can't imagine--but they need to start playing catch-up. But so few of them have been released on blu that we pretty much got tired of talking about them and moved on to other musicals that actually have been popping up with increasing frequently in the past year. I frankly passed on the SBFSB dvd--still have my vhs from way back when. And I will wait and hope they put as much effort into the blu-ray as they did Meet Me in St. Louis. I will repeat that comment for the entirety of the MGM musicals canon. We've already seen that they can do their best work on these films--let's hope that's a trend that will continue as time goes on. And totally in the wrong forum, but I wouldn't say no if they put out the short-lived "Seven Brides" tv show on dvd while they were at it...

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The first musical I remember getting into was Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. Growing up, I thought musicals were sort of silly and sissy, what with people bursting into song and dancing. This one came on TV one night, and I liked it from the beginning with Howard Keel's great bass voice booming out. I credit it for helping me get into musicals in general; and later, opera. It is probably my favorite of the MGM musicals, and I'd love to see it on Blu-ray.
Ethan Riley said:
I frankly passed on the SBFSB dvd--still have my vhs from way back when. And I will wait and hope they put as much effort into the blu-ray as they did Meet Me in St. Louis. I will repeat that comment for the entirety of the MGM musicals canon. We've already seen that they can do their best work on these films--let's hope that's a trend that will continue as time goes on. And totally in the wrong forum, but I wouldn't say no if they put out the short-lived "Seven Brides" tv show on dvd while they were at it...
Ethan, that 2-disc DVD is quite a nice package, with both the CinemaScope and "flat" version, "making of" feature, etc. Basically, it is like the Meet Me in St. Louis and Singin' in the Rain DVD SEs.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
The two-disc SE is indeed a nice package. The trouble with this title is that the success of this movie caught everybody by surprise back in 1954 and the original negative was overprinted. Plus, it was shot in Ansco Color. I would imagine there would have to be a lot of work done on this one before Warner would release it on BluRay. They poured a lot of money into restoring another widescreen Metrocolor title form the fifties, Gigi, with only middling success, given the state of the materials. I'd get that special edition if you want to see Seven Brides any time soon.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
To elaborate on that, it was specifically that 70mm prints were being struck from the original 35mm negative, as this was the only method at the time to get a really good-looking 70mm print, and they totally thrashed the negative doing so. As a result, the CinemaScope version on the DVD doesn't look as good as the flat version. I'd love to see a Blu-ray with both versions on it.
Rob_Ray said:
The trouble with this title is that the success of this movie caught everybody by surprise back in 1954 and the original negative was overprinted.

MrsMac

Agent
Real Name
Kim Andrew
Question: when you speak of a "2-disc SE" is this for Seven Brides ...? If so, is there a link from here to purchase so that HTF gets credit? As to musicals, we own a big bunch on DVD. No let me back up, we owned just about every musical (even a few stinkers) on laser disc. Then our player died and we bought a DVD player and started replacing our movies (sold our lasers to a friend who had a working player). So now we own all these DVD's and this is one of the few categories in which we'd spend the big bucks again (studios -- are you listening???) to upgrade to blu-ray. We love musicals. Seriously love them. Our next purchase will likely include:
  • Music Man [*] Sound of Music (even though we have this gorgeous anniversary edition on reg. DVD)
  • South Pacific [*] My Fair Lady
Maybe more, not sure. Depends on price and budget.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ethan Riley said:
I frankly passed on the SBFSB dvd--still have my vhs from way back when.
VHS?? Isn't that the Four Brides For Four Brothers version? Sorry, couldn't resist - that was always my favorite Pan And Scan joke. David

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I have the 2-disc special edition. I see that a 1-disc edition was released last year on DVD. I would gladly upgrade to Blu-ray!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by MrsMac

Question: when you speak of a "2-disc SE" is this for Seven Brides ...? If so, is there a link from here to purchase so that HTF gets credit?
As to musicals, we own a big bunch on DVD. No let me back up, we owned just about every musical (even a few stinkers) on laser disc. Then our player died and we bought a DVD player and started replacing our movies (sold our lasers to a friend who had a working player). So now we own all these DVD's and this is one of the few categories in which we'd spend the big bucks again (studios -- are you listening???) to upgrade to blu-ray. We love musicals. Seriously love them.
Our next purchase will likely include:
  • Music Man
  • Sound of Music (even though we have this gorgeous anniversary edition on reg. DVD)
  • South Pacific
  • My Fair Lady
Maybe more, not sure. Depends on price and budget.

It's my favorite genre, too, and I get depressed sometimes thinking about all those enjoyable films from the 1940s and 1950s that will likely never see the light of Blu-ray day. We've been promised Singin' in the Rain this year, but I don't know of another musical of that era that's even up for Blu-ray treatment.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I think it's time for a rediscovery of "The Band Wagon" which, to me, is the equal of "Singin' in the Rain." I always think of "Singin' in the Rain" as the ultimate MGM Gene Kelly musical with the best salute to Hollywood on film and "The Band Wagon" as the ultimate MGM Fred Astaire musical with the best salute to Broadway. They are perfect companion pieces and equally brilliant apexes of the MGM musical. As such, both are deserving of the most lavish BluRay releases similar to what was accorded "Ben-Hur."

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Rob_Ray

I think it's time for a rediscovery of "The Band Wagon" which, to me, is the equal of "Singin' in the Rain." I always think of "Singin' in the Rain" as the ultimate MGM Gene Kelly musical with the best salute to Hollywood on film and "The Band Wagon" as the ultimate MGM Fred Astaire musical with the best salute to Broadway. They are perfect companion pieces and equally brilliant apexes of the MGM musical. As such, both are deserving of the most lavish BluRay releases similar to what was accorded "Ben-Hur."

You won't get an argument from me about The Band Wagon. It's a magnificent film. I do wish they had been able to engage Carol Richards to do the singing for Cyd Charisse for the film. India Adams just is not a good match for her voice.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Two questions about Singin' in the Rain: 1. Any indication when this will come out? 2. Does anyone else agree that the one part of Singin' that's really dated is Gene Kelly's "artistic sequence" -- that seemingly endless "Broadway Melody"? The rest is fresh as bread right out of the oven.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Rick Thompson said:
Two questions about Singin' in the Rain: 1. Any indication when this will come out? 2. Does anyone else agree that the one part of Singin' that's really dated is Gene Kelly's "artistic sequence" -- that seemingly endless "Broadway Melody"? The rest is fresh as bread right out of the oven.
I don't know that "dated" is the right word, but the bit with Cyd Charisse and that long veil certainly stops the show in its tracks for a bit of choreographic pretentiousness. It did then, it still does. I believe Stanley Donen always thought so as well. Still, I wouldn't cut a frame of it. It is what it is and even that sequence, poorly paced as it may be, is Hollywood artistry at its finest.

MrsMac

Agent
Real Name
Kim Andrew
Rick Thompson said:
Two questions about Singin' in the Rain: 2. Does anyone else agree that the one part of Singin' that's really dated is Gene Kelly's "artistic sequence" -- that seemingly endless "Broadway Melody"? The rest is fresh as bread right out of the oven.
We tend to fast-forward through the artsy-fartsy bits in musicals if they stop the story. I'm sure they had a reason for adding them in all these films, but they bore the heck out of us. ;)

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by MrsMac /t/318751/seven-brides-for-seven-brothers#post_3901306

That's always been what I don't like about "Singing in the Rain" the songs just stop the film each time they come on without adding to the story.

The dancing's great, but "SitR" works better as a comedy without the songs (except for the title number which at least does add to the story) The rest - well the film was build around the songs not the other way around (as with most musical films/shows which start with a story and then musicalize the scenes)

Plus never liked the score to "SitR" for some reason. "The Bandwagon" also has great dancing and the songs are better suited for the story but again, some just stop the film. Sadly never found 7Bf7B to be any fun at all - and find the film a bore.

"An American in Paris" also seems a chore to get through even though it won the Best Picture Oscar

During the 1950's MGM's was at it's best with "Annie Get Your Gun" (MGM's top grossing musical of the decade by the way) "Kiss Me Kate" and the Oscar winning "Gigi"

1950's MGM was at it's worst with "Show Boat" and "Kismet" To bad the 1936 Universal film of "Show Boat" which is 100 times better is still unavailable on DVD/Blu-ray

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Time to bump this again. So, as I understand it the elements for this film (the original anamorphic/ Cinemascope version, of course) are not in the best of shape and Warner practically had to move the sun and the moon just to get it to DVD quality. Is this the most likely reason why we're not seeing in HD or Blu, as of yet, or is there some other possible reason (in addition to this)?

While I seriously doubt the film is controversial in any way that could lead Warner to hesitate, in this day and age I would hardly be surprised if that were the case.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
classicmovieguy said:
We're talking Ansco Color, which has a dreadful track-record. I'm sure this is why the film has yet to reach Blu.
And I guess that would extend to Brigadoon, too? Rats! They're two of my favorites.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks