Seven Brides For Seven Brothers

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Brandon_D, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Brandon_D

Brandon_D Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone have any information about the new 2-Disc Special Edition of this film?? I read it was being released this year for its' 50th Anniversary!!

2. Brandon_D

Brandon_D Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone have any information about the new 2-Disc Special Edition of this film?? I read it was being released this year for its' 50th Anniversary!!

3. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

I'm as eager as you are. A nice 16x9 HD transfer...ahhh. And wasn't this one of those films that was shot "twice" like Oaklahoma and Brigadoon? If so...give me both versions [​IMG]

4. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

I'm as eager as you are. A nice 16x9 HD transfer...ahhh. And wasn't this one of those films that was shot "twice" like Oaklahoma and Brigadoon? If so...give me both versions [​IMG]

5. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
    What do you mean by shot twice David?

6. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
    What do you mean by shot twice David?

7. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

In the case of Brigadoon I believe that it was shot once for 1.33:1 theaters and once for widescreen. Folks, did I get that right?

In the case of Oaklahoma, it was shot once in "normal" 24fps cinemascope and once in 30 fps (60mm) form but I'm not adept to describe the technical process or film stock. In any case, the performers actually performed each number *twice*...once to be filmed in 35mm, and once to be filmed on the special 30 fps stock. So watching the two versions is actually watching two different *performances* of the film...not just the same movie on different types of film stock.

The DVD and LD of Oaklahoma use the 30 fps version...but older TV and VHS versions used the 35mm one. I'd like to have Fox restore and release both on a DVD special edition.

-dave

8. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

In the case of Brigadoon I believe that it was shot once for 1.33:1 theaters and once for widescreen. Folks, did I get that right?

In the case of Oaklahoma, it was shot once in "normal" 24fps cinemascope and once in 30 fps (60mm) form but I'm not adept to describe the technical process or film stock. In any case, the performers actually performed each number *twice*...once to be filmed in 35mm, and once to be filmed on the special 30 fps stock. So watching the two versions is actually watching two different *performances* of the film...not just the same movie on different types of film stock.

The DVD and LD of Oaklahoma use the 30 fps version...but older TV and VHS versions used the 35mm one. I'd like to have Fox restore and release both on a DVD special edition.

-dave

9. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Warner's DVD will have both the 1.85:1 (matted widescreen) and 2.55:1 (CinemaScope) versions on the 2-disc SE, both 16x9. (This is from the last HTF-Warner chat)

10. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Warner's DVD will have both the 1.85:1 (matted widescreen) and 2.55:1 (CinemaScope) versions on the 2-disc SE, both 16x9. (This is from the last HTF-Warner chat)

11. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

It was shot simultaneously with cameras side by side unlike Oklahoma! which was actually shot at different times (except for a few second unit shots). My favorite sequence is when Jane Powell is singing a song and a flock of birds fly across the screen and one of them flies right into the background painting! You can only see it in the CinemaScope version.

12. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

It was shot simultaneously with cameras side by side unlike Oklahoma! which was actually shot at different times (except for a few second unit shots). My favorite sequence is when Jane Powell is singing a song and a flock of birds fly across the screen and one of them flies right into the background painting! You can only see it in the CinemaScope version.

13. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

SEVEN BRIDES was not shot simultaneously. They are different versions, with different takes, and with scenes staged differently for the less-wide screen. The last LD release was a 2 disc set and had both versions. The differences were very obvious.

14. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

SEVEN BRIDES was not shot simultaneously. They are different versions, with different takes, and with scenes staged differently for the less-wide screen. The last LD release was a 2 disc set and had both versions. The differences were very obvious.

15. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

Some of the Oklahoma musicals numbers are different takes and some are shot side by side.
    They had less available 70mm stock for Oklahoma so some mistakes got through. the best is in the Kansas City number. When Gene Nelson starts dancing aroung the horse, he jumps on a wodden crate. In the scope version he then pulls out his legs one at a time. In the Todd aO version, he lands the wrong way and almost falls out of the crate.
    There are also very different credits. the Opening of the ballet is, oddly, somewhat faster in the todd AO version than it is in the scope version.
    Fox has a fascinating alternate flat version of The Robe. Many of the shots are radically different. The flat version is often shown in mono, but the stereo version was found about ten years ago. Would love to have the flat stereo version on dvd.

16. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

Some of the Oklahoma musicals numbers are different takes and some are shot side by side.
    They had less available 70mm stock for Oklahoma so some mistakes got through. the best is in the Kansas City number. When Gene Nelson starts dancing aroung the horse, he jumps on a wodden crate. In the scope version he then pulls out his legs one at a time. In the Todd aO version, he lands the wrong way and almost falls out of the crate.
    There are also very different credits. the Opening of the ballet is, oddly, somewhat faster in the todd AO version than it is in the scope version.
    Fox has a fascinating alternate flat version of The Robe. Many of the shots are radically different. The flat version is often shown in mono, but the stereo version was found about ten years ago. Would love to have the flat stereo version on dvd.

17. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    I also can confirm that 7 brides was shot twice.
    Comparing the two versions on Laserdisc, clearly some sequences look as if they may have been filmed at the same time, but with the 35mm Flat version shot on a slightly different angle.( Actors appearing from slightly different positions within the image)

But there are lots of real variations in other sequences.

"Bless Your Beatiful Hide" has two entirely different filming time frames.
    One version was clearly shot around Midday while the Sun was directly above, creating very little shadow, while the other version was shot either in the early Morning or Late Afternoon because of the very long shadows.

"Spring Spring Spring" is different in each version.
    Different animals are fed and it's obviously very hard to get other animals to perform exactly the same movements twice.

On close examination, "Wonderful Wonderful Day" has entirely different movements and gestures, especially from Jane Powell.

The background scene during the titles is for some strange reason reversed in each version.

So while it's likely that some doubling up of Cameras did happen, an awful lot of it has clearly been shot twice.

It makes for fascinating viewing.

Personally I prefer watching the matted flat version better than the Scope one, but this may only be because the flat version has much better color. (on the Laserdisc at least)
    The present non Anamorphic DVD looks pretty awful.

18. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    I also can confirm that 7 brides was shot twice.
    Comparing the two versions on Laserdisc, clearly some sequences look as if they may have been filmed at the same time, but with the 35mm Flat version shot on a slightly different angle.( Actors appearing from slightly different positions within the image)

But there are lots of real variations in other sequences.

"Bless Your Beatiful Hide" has two entirely different filming time frames.
    One version was clearly shot around Midday while the Sun was directly above, creating very little shadow, while the other version was shot either in the early Morning or Late Afternoon because of the very long shadows.

"Spring Spring Spring" is different in each version.
    Different animals are fed and it's obviously very hard to get other animals to perform exactly the same movements twice.

On close examination, "Wonderful Wonderful Day" has entirely different movements and gestures, especially from Jane Powell.

The background scene during the titles is for some strange reason reversed in each version.

So while it's likely that some doubling up of Cameras did happen, an awful lot of it has clearly been shot twice.

It makes for fascinating viewing.

Personally I prefer watching the matted flat version better than the Scope one, but this may only be because the flat version has much better color. (on the Laserdisc at least)
    The present non Anamorphic DVD looks pretty awful.

19. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Agreed. Whatever the case, the current DVD is an abomination...especially on a large-screen setup.

Here's to getting a proper remaster/re-release!

dave [​IMG]

20. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Agreed. Whatever the case, the current DVD is an abomination...especially on a large-screen setup.

Here's to getting a proper remaster/re-release!

dave [​IMG]