What's new

Pre-Order Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
71e58P9F-cL._SX522_.jpg

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
First I preordered using this link.

But as of today (May 12th), the Amazon page shows this as unavailable.

Hopefully this is temporary and the June 5th date holds although I think July 7th (7/7 for Seven Brides) would be much more fun.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I bought and finally watched Seven Brides for Seven Brothers on Blu-ray tonight. I was very, very pleased with the image quality (opticals still as soft as they always were, and I wasn't expecting anything different) knowing how problematic the Ansco color elements have been for this movie. I found the color nicely managed and more "realistic" than I've ever seen it before. (Previous experiences on video and in the theater had redder, ruddier colors.) Great job!

One thing puzzled me a bit on watching the "making of" documentary on the movie. I've heard here and on several other interviews Stanley Donen and others moan and groan about how their budget was slashed to siphon off money for the Freed Unit's Brigadoon which was expected to be the bigger hit (Seven Brides wasn't a Freed Unit project.) But the final cost of the Seven Brides was $2.6 million according to the documentary. Yet, Hugh Fordin's book on the Freed Unit revealed the cost of Brigadoon as $2.3 million, so it looks to me if the MGM honchos took money from Seven Brides, they were merely evening up the budgets of the two musicals rather than making one film much smaller in size and the other larger. Both were outdoor stories and yet filmed not on location but on soundstages, so IF Brigadoon received some great cash influx from Seven Brides, it wasn't used to go on location to shoot it. I'm beginning to think that budget story may be apocryphal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks