What's new

Setup reciever help needed (1 Viewer)

Gavin.F

Grip
Hi everyone. Im fairly new to the HT scene, so any help is appriciated.

Firstly, I live in the UK. Ive been looking around at local speakers and have basically decided I want the Monitor Audio Bronze package, with the B4 floorstanders up front, and the BFX speakers at the rear. Ive also settled on either the Harman/Kardon DVD25 or DVD506 as the DVD player. However, Im still deciding about the receiver.

Its a reasonably small room, but I like it loud. The system will be used for DVDs, music, gaming and general TV, so I need a good all round system. If required, Id like it more focused for films. Id like at least about 4 digital imputs and a reasonable number of watts on all channels.

The systems Ive considered so far are the Denon AVR2803, Onyko TX-SR601 and some of the Harman/Kardon receivers. Opinions on these models and how they'd couple with the Monitor Audio set would be most appriciated. Any other suggestions are also welcome.

Thanks for your help.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi gavin -

i know this is a cop-out answer, but all three brands should work well for you. denon is on my short-list for my next receiver, i currently own an onkyo and would have no issues with a hk.

if forced to talk about each brand, i would probably saying the following:

denon and hk have stronger amps. hk is especially known for their powerful amp stages. don't think of this in terms of "oh good, then i can really crank it." instead, think of it in terms of having better sound at lower volume. a strong amp means it won't have to work as hard to recreate high dynamic range.

the onkyo is probably a better value. they typically give you good performance and features for a reasonable cost. there have been some reviews that state their power-rating isn't exactly accurate, but under normal listening situations you can't tell anyway.

do you know the efficiency rating of the speakers you want? a more efficient speaker won't require as strong an amp.

hope that helps some...if not just ask away. :)

Gavin.F

Grip
Im not really sure what you mean by efficiency rating but these are the specs from the monitor audio site:

Frequency Response: 36Hz-22KHz
Sensitivity: (1W@1m) 91dB
Nominal Impedance: (Ohms) 6
Power Handling RMS: (W) 150
Drive Unit Complement: 1 x 6.5" MMP® MK2 Bass
1 x 6.5" MMP® MK2 Bass mid-range
1 x 25mm Gold Dome
C-CAM® tweeter
Cabinet Design: Front & rear ported, bass reflex

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
oops..yeah, i meant sensitivity. i guess the terms are somewhat interchangeable.

anyway, 91db is pretty good. that means your speaker doesn't have to "work as hard" as a speaker with...say...an 89db rating. in turn, that means your amp doesn't have to be quite as powerful.

however...

i noticed this is a 6-ohm speaker. (now i always get this part mixed up, so if i goof, i apologize in advance.) since your speaker is only 6-ohms, (instead of the "normal" 8-ohms) - that means the speaker is "pulling" more juice (less resistance???) from the amp. so, you'll want to make sure your amp is up to snuff.

hope that helps. bottom line - go with either the hk or denon. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks