What's new

Setup question w/DIsh, LED TV, Blue Ray, XBOX and 5.1SS (1 Viewer)

iDavid

Auditioning
Real Name
David Chaney
So we got a new TV (middle of the road LED) to replace my aging DLP.

I have a decent 5.1 surround sound system that I'm not quite ready to replace with a soundbar. The SS system still employs the wire ends that are hooked into the receiver.

The rest of the system is as follows:

LED TV (3 HDMI ports and one opitcal port). It also has the standard array of the other AV ports.
Xbox
Blue Ray
Dish

The receiver has 2 HDMI ports and two optical ports.

I currently have my TV connected to my Dish via HDMI. I then have an optical cable from DIsh to my receiver. This allows me to get sound through my SS system.....when watching TV. If I use the apps on my TV (bypassing DISH) I lose sounds from my SS. It only comes from the TV.

Additionally, I'm having to unplug cables and such to go between Xbox and Blue Ray. However, both of those seem to be using my SS.

I guess my questions are, how should all this be hooked up for the BEST sound? Should I run HDMI between DIsh and Receiver or TV and Receiver? Should I maybe go from HDMI to component on my XBOX? Should everything be hooked up to my receiver instead of the TV since I am still utilizing a receiver?

I'm basically lost and on the verge of calling for help. I can certainly attach pics if needed.

Thanks
David

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well...we need the model number of the TV and of this SS. Cause mentioning you have a 5.1SS tells us you have something between a $200 HTiB all the way to a $1,000,000 Home Theatre.

iDavid

Auditioning
Real Name
David Chaney
I did one better. I snapped a few pics. The surround sound system is a 6 year old Infinity 5.1. I do not have a model number.

20131226_141700.jpg
20131226_141718.jpg
20131226_141747.jpg
20131226_141818.jpg
20131226_141800.jpg

The TV is an LG Model #: 55LN5600

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/55-60hz-led-wifi-1080p-3-hdmi-wifi/prod11230398.ip?navAction=push

Hope this helps. I really appreciate the help. A Starbucks giftcard could be in order if I can really get this the way I think it SHOULD be able to be setup.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Closer. I need the model number of the Yamaha(to know if it takes audio off the HDMI)...

You may not need anything...depending what it is.

By the way...this
"The SS system still employs the wire ends that are hooked into the receiver."

Surround systems still work this way. Nothing is ever going to change in that regard(no matter what Sonos has you believe)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Good news and bad news in one.

You have your excuse for a new AVR. Every new AVR does miles more than that 463(to be fair...the entire industry fubar'd the customer base with those ridiculously ill featured AVR)

The 463 does not take audio off the HDMI. Why AVR were ever made that couldn't...is beyond me. I remember working for my prior employer and the "first Pioneer Elite BD players" hit the market. All the Elite and the top two Pioneer models included 5.1(or 7.1) outputs cause the AVR at the time couldn't take audio off the HDMI...and Pioneer tried the excuse "it sounds better processed in the BD player anyway"...(you can't provide enough eyerolls for that industry wide stupidity)

Anyway.

If you replace your AVR with a newer one...even this one...
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTRC330/Onkyo-HT-RC330-5.1-CHANNEL-HOME-THEATER-RECEIVER/1.html

All you need is 4 HDMI. I for each "source" and one to the TV. The new AVR will even provide AV sync*(which didn't even exist back when the 463 was new).

*LCD TV are notorious for their processing delays. Using your current 463, if you have an audio and video delay, there is nothing the 463 can do about it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your "alternative" is(and this is highly ill-advised) to run HDMI to the TV and toslink or digital coax to the AVR(there is no need to even bother with the HDMI on the 463...as there aren't enough anyway).

The problem is, the LCD will probably be out of sync and make the XBox unplayable. That wasn't a problem with your DLP, nor would it have been a problem if you had chosen a plasma.

But, you chose a LCD.

iDavid

Auditioning
Real Name
David Chaney
So let me follow that up with a couple of questions.....

With a NEW AVR (such as the one you referenced), the components are then hooked up via HDMI cables to it, then I would then run a HDMI cable from the AVR to the TV? Is that correct?

And until I replace me AVR (ie get permission from the wife after just having brought the TV) how would you simply hook up my current system? Otr just keep what I have? The audio works with TV (dish) but not the so called smart app. However, when using the BlueRay it works including the apps on the Blueray.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is an alternative to a "new" AVR...if you can find one. When you bought your 463...the 663 and 863(double and almost triple the cost...at the time) would not need to be replaced today.

You could see if there are any used(Craigslist or Ebay) 663, 665, 863, 865...that way it is a "quick swap" and the AVR will work, pretty much exactly...as you are used to this one working...but with more features.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RX-V863BL-7-1-Channel-Digital-HOME-THEATER-RECEIVER-/370910105372?pt=Receivers_Tuners&hash=item565bf70f1c (if you are close...good deal)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
iDavid said:
So let me follow that up with a couple of questions.....

With a NEW AVR (such as the one you referenced), the components are then hooked up via HDMI cables to it, then I would then run a HDMI cable from the AVR to the TV? Is that correct? Yes the AVR is the brains of the operation

And until I replace me AVR (ie get permission from the wife after just having brought the TV) how would you simply hook up my current system? Otr just keep what I have? The audio works with TV (dish) but not the so called smart app. However, when using the BlueRay it works including the apps on the Blueray.

Your TV also has to be treated "as a source" just like the XBox, BD player and your Dish STB. It has an audio output(trust me, it does)...it connects to the back of the 463(provided you have a 4th digital connect...that, I don't remember how many the 463 had).

A "newer AVR"(for wife approval and acceptance) means you only have to change inputs 1 time. Not twice(TV and AVR).

And(if you go a "bit further up Onkyo"...or some other brand that also includes one) you could even get an AVR with a remote that will run your Dish STB(every function it has), the basic play/stop of the BD player and turn the TV off/on(won't do the apps).

Example of one with this type of "remote"...(not the least expensive I'm sure...but the "only one around the price I knew first hand that does")
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR515/Onkyo-TX-NR515-7.2-Channel-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html

iDavid

Auditioning
Real Name
David Chaney
schan1269 said:
Your TV also has to be treated "as a source" just like the XBox, BD player and your Dish STB. It has an audio output(trust me, it does)...it connects to the back of the 463(provided you have a 4th digital connect...that, I don't remember how many the 463 had).

A "newer AVR"(for wife approval and acceptance) means you only have to change inputs 1 time. Not twice(TV and AVR).

And(if you go a "bit further up Onkyo"...or some other brand that also includes one) you could even get an AVR with a remote that will run your Dish STB(every function it has), the basic play/stop of the BD player and turn the TV off/on(won't do the apps).

Example of one with this type of "remote"...(not the least expensive I'm sure...but the "only one around the price I knew first hand that does")
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR515/Onkyo-TX-NR515-7.2-Channel-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html
That price isn't that bad. Can certainly live with that. And you'd go that route over replacing my surround sound with a sound bar?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Oh definitely.

Soundbar won't be anywhere near what you are used to for sound.(especially if you listen to any music)

The newer AVR will make this a much easier system to use.

iDavid

Auditioning
Real Name
David Chaney
schan1269 said:
Oh definitely.

Soundbar won't be anywhere near what you are used to for sound.(especially if you listen to any music)

The newer AVR will make this a much easier system to use.
Gotcha, thanks. Will probably have to wait a month or two but I guess that's what I'll do. To me, great sound is extremely important to video (and of course music). I like the "neatness" that a soundbar offers, but yeah, it's just not the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fadilale
Recent bookmarks