Setup question: speakers with two sets of inputs

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Phil Carter, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Phil Carter

Phil Carter Second Unit

Phil
    Hey folks.

I'm posting this on behalf of my friend Joe DeAngelo, who has signed up for the HTF but doesn't have permission to post yet. I can't answer his question and he says the Search function on the HTF is requiring him to be logged in (which he obviously can't do yet.) Help a brother out, wouldja? [​IMG]

Joe's inquiry is below.

[[ Note, because it seemed relevant: Joe does have a separate subwoofer as well, a 12" Acoustic Research sub ]].

-- Phil Carter

Hi,

I'm wondering if somebody here could help a newbie in setting up my new (H/K AVR 335) receiver with some older Jamo surround speakers. My problem actually lies with connecting the front/main speakers (which are Jamo Cornet 100 IV's). These speakers have two sets of inputs (I'm assuming one for the tweeter/mid, and one for the subs). How do I connect my receiver up to both of these connections?

My friend (who is a bit more knowledgeable than me) had me 'bridge' the two connections by connecting them with speaker wire....But somebody else told me I could damage my receiver because I've changed the ohms from 8 to 4. Even if that's not the case, I'm guessing I still don't' have it set-up in the best possible way.

If anybody could lend me some advice, I would be most appreciative!

- Joe DeAngelo
    [email protected]

2. Peter Fallon

Peter Fallon Extra

Your friend is correct, connect the terminals in parallel.

I don't want to make a long drawn out post about reactive loads, but connecting the terminals together won't change the nominal impedance as that other person suggested.

In any case your receiver should shut itself off if it couldn't handle the load anyway.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The terminals are INTENDED to be bridged or rather jumpered. You are simply completing the circuit in the x-over. This will in no way damage your receiver, unless you hooked them up backwards across the terminals, and you would know this right away... IMO, speaker wire makes an excellent jumper, and I frequently recommend this method. Because the speaker's "normal" capabilty would be with a jumper in place, the nominal impedance does not change. The first person who told you to bridge was correct, the "other" is not up to speed.

You are correct in the assumption that the terminals are separated for the highs and lows. This allows the use of separate amps for each of the drivers (bi-amping), or sections, yeilding much more available power for each. With a single amp channel, there is no real benefit to running two sets of wires (bi-wiring). This is effectively doing the same thing as using a short wire jumper at the speaker, except with a lot more wire. Though this increases the effective ga. of the wire, you are still sending the same amount of power over it.

The way it is currently set up is probably the best way for the gear you have.

"That's a really big door..." [​IMG]

4. Phil Carter

Phil Carter Second Unit

Phil
    Thanks Peter and John for the replies!

cheers,
    Phil

5. Andy Pressman

Andy Pressman Auditioning

I'm looking at buying these off a person, and I noticed that they're 4ohms. Unless I didn't see the answer in the previous post, how can I drive these using a receiver built for 8 like a Marants Sr-18?

6. DavidSGT

DavidSGT Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking at buying these off a person, and I noticed that they're 4ohms. Unless I didn't see the answer in the previous post, how can I drive these using a receiver built for 8 like a Marants Sr-18?

Hiya Andy,

At sane listening levels, I don't think it will pose a problem provided you like the sound of the speakers in the first place, downside is usually insufficient power to really make a 4 ohm speaker bloom.

I guess when you can spare more cash, you can always get a big ass power amp and use the Marantz as a pre/pro and really crank it up

Knowing how good used stuff are not that easy to find, I say go for it...

Regards.
    DavidSGT

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I agree. The SR-18 is a good receiver and at lower listening levels, it shouldn't be a problem; especially if these are the only 4 Ohm speaker in the mix. I run an SR-8300 with three 4 Ohm speakers - the center and surrounds. My mains are also 4 Ohm, but they run off MA-500 monoblocks. I'd say try it as well, and if you need to get an amp, used ones are easy to find.