What's new

Setup new H/K 525 last night, noticed a slight video degradation. Normal? (1 Viewer)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
I am using an X-Box as my DVD player and using an A/R S-video cable to the 525. Also a new Liberty S-video cable to the TV which is a Toshiba 36". I didn't expect to have this problem on a 36" TV. If it was a larger TV I could understand why the signal loss would be more visible. The Liberty cable is brand new. The older Acoustic Research cable is a mid-priced cable from Best Buy I've been using from the start. When I was going from the X-Box direct to the TV with this cable the picture was amazing! Is this normal? Could it be my new Liberty cable? In the past I've used several of their audio cables with good success.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Doug: No I haven't contacted HK because I wanted a little confirmation before I called them. The picture seems to be less sharp by a very slight amount. In the past, I have read on the board that a very slight change can be expected on large TV's. But, as I said, I didn't expect this to be a problem with a 36". I may also borrow another S-video cable from a friend and swap it with the new Liberty cable to try and isolate the problem.

JohnJay*S

Auditioning
Why go through the HK at all? Why not directly to the S-video jack in the set? My understanding is that you wouldn't use the video switching option in a receiver unless you didn't have enough inputs into the set directly. I imagine any switch will add noise to a circuit and degrade the signal (over a direct connect).

My 2 cents..

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
JohnJay: Good point, but I was planning on using the conveinent front S-video/audio inputs for my camcorder and digital camera. And, I like being able to use the "On Screen Display" for programming.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I on board with that one, bypass the HK and go directly from the X-Box to the T.V. If there a clear difference then call HK for assistance. But if not, this may be a cable issue.

DanielGM

Stunt Coordinator
if you have a free input why dont you run the xbox straight to the TV and also run another cable (it could be just a regular composite video cable) from the H/k to the tv. that way to use on screen programming you just switch inputs on the tv quickly and then switch back

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Daniel: Good idea, but I don't know if my X-Box dongle sends a signal to both the S-video and composite outputs at the same time. But it's with a try. Thanks!

JohnJay*S

Auditioning
Agree with Daniel. You should have several video inputs on the TV set (36" Toshiba.)

For instance use Video 1's S-Video socket for the X-Box and Video 2's composite video socket (probably yellow) for a simple RCA male-to-male connection between the HK525 and the TV.

If you want to use the X-Box/DVD choose Vid 1 on the TV, if you want to use the on-screen HK programming choose Vid 2.

I assume the Xbox has right and left audio out which would connect to Vid 1 right (red) & left (white) RCA sockets.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Ahhhhhh......but here's the problem. Xbox customer support confirmed that the Adv A/V Pack will only send out one video signal at a time. So I can't plug into both and send them to the TV and 525. @*#%!

When I get home I'm going to try it anyway, just to confirm.

JohnJay*S

Auditioning
I don't think we're communicating.

You plug the HK into the Toshiba and the XBox into the Toshiba. Two separate sources.

The Xbox doesn't have anything to do with the HK on-screen setup signal.

JohnJay*S

Auditioning
Cool.

I just bought an HK 325 and am waiting for it to arrive. It's replacing a Marantz that I bought in 1997 which replaced an AIWA that I had for 25 years.

I see an expensive trend..

John

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
John: IMO for music the 325/525 can't be beat at their price point. I have yet to watch a movie with it. I love mine and I think you will love yours.

Don_Teel

Auditioning
I had the same issue with my 325, yes it does degrade the picture using svideo. i had an onkyo 600 before, and there was a difference. The 325 softens the picture just a bit, but when you have and hdtv like i do, its frustration.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Thanks for the feedback Don! I knew I wasn't going crazy. Did you try a "work around" or just learn to live with it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks