Setup?MultiSwitch Problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug_Fr, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Doug_Fr

Doug_Fr Extra

I've run four lines from a dual LNB dish to a Trunkline 5x8 powered multiswitch. When the receiver is hooked to the multiswitch I can receive only "Sat 2" --I get many but not all stations -- get MTV, don't get CNN -- it says it can't locate Sat 1 input. But, when I run one of the lines straight from the dish to the receiver - bypassing the multiswitch -- I receive all channels.

Do I have a defective multiswitch? Am I doing something wrong (I suspect so)? All help welcomed.

Thanks

2. Chris Sigua

Chris Sigua Stunt Coordinator

What kind of receiver do you have? Have you configured it to "2 Satellite" system?

As for the multiswitch, have tried it with 4x4 multiswitch that came with the dish? If that works, then it is the 5x8 switch. Do you have the AC power adapter hooked up?

3. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Doug more info in need (maybe you've done the trouble shooting)

Chris is right, try the 4x4 first. There are so many parts here that anything can be the proble. Bad wiring, bad lnb's, etc. Start with a good working known state, the 4x4.

Make sure the receiver is set to a 2 LNB system. Then check the signal level on both LNBs.

If the 4x4 don't work, then it's a wire or LNB. Try swapping wires and LNBs to find what's bad.

After you are sure the 4x4 works try the 5x8. Check the power supply, maybe try another matched power supply. Matched is key, same voltage, same polairty, etc.

Who makes the MS? Some multiswitches have confusing labels for what is to be connected where, double check your connections.

If you can see anything on the TV from one LNB, I'd say the problem is from the MS back to the LNBs. Try everything, swap wires, then swap LNBs. LNB's are the toughest part to swap so save them til last, try everything else first.

4. Chris Sigua

Chris Sigua Stunt Coordinator