Setup Idea

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Dan*F, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Dan*F

Dan*F Extra

Was searching around and found magnavox 27' hd for 391 For thatcheap was wondering if you thought this would be good for a first time ht.

Also was wondering how a hdtv antenna works and do you need hd service to use an antenna works and how you get dvds into hd

sorry dont have engough posts to post the links

2. Dan*F

Dan*F Extra

anyone[​IMG]

3. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Well, that certainly is a good price for that Magnavox although on a TV that small, the picture from any source is going to look pretty good. Is the TV 4:3 or 16x9 widescreen? At that price I am assuming it is 4:3. No, you don't need HD service to get OTA HD channels with an HD antenna providing your TV has an HD tuner built in and is not merely HD ready, meaning you would need an external HD tuner of some kind. HD tuners via an antenna simply pluck the HD broadcasts out of the air. Currently there are NO HD DVDs or players on the average consumer market. What you are probably asking about is an upscaling DVD player that can take a 480 progressive picture, the current DVD resolution standard, and upscale it to 720p, 768p or 1080i. Non progressive DVD players display DVDs in 480i mode. A lot of the current HD/digital TVs on the market can themselves take a standard 480i signal from a non progressive DVD player and upsacle it to 480p or whatever its native resolution is. Keep in mind that even with upscaling the outputted picture is still not true high definition. There are a new batch of players and discs coming out soon known as HD-DVD or Blue Ray formats that will display their discs in true high definition. Expect to see these on the market sometime next year; you can be sure these are going to be pricey though.[​IMG]

4. Dan*F

Dan*F Extra

It doesnt say on the circuitcity website if its 4:3 16 9 but it says no widescreen which i assume is 4:3 also says you need an hd reciever

Thanks for the response

5. Dan*F

Dan*F Extra

All of the hd recievers ive seen are for direct tv or comcast and are pricy and the tv says you need one what should I do ??[​IMG]

6. matt mettin

matt mettin Auditioning

you can pick up a hd reciever for ota only from bb or cc etc.

they are about 400.00 and you will need an antenna for the ota reception they are about 20.00

regards

Matt

7. Dan*F

Dan*F Extra

Ok so its better to just get an hd ready instead of capable

Saw some nice deals on ebay probably get one off there[​IMG]

8. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Dan, you can buy an OTA tuner for less than $200 at Walmart. Then you might be able to get by with an indoor antenna, depending on how far the towers are from your house. Do you have any plans to get HD satellite? If you get HD satellite down the road, you'll need to get another receiver from Dish Network, Directv, etc. The built-in tuners in TV's are only good for your local channels.

9. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Comcast supplies you with an HD box when you buy their HD service. The per month price varies; in my area it is $2 per month with no extra charge for regular channels and no extra if you subscribe to a channel (HBO, Show, etc.) already.

10. Dan*F

Dan*F Extra

Do you need a tuner if its hd ready?

11. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

HD Ready could mean that it has it's own OTA tuner built into the TV. Make sure though because "Ready" could mean that it will accept an external tuner and not necessarily have one built in.

12. Dan*F

Dan*F Extra

Ok thanks Also would it be worth to get a used tv off ebay since I dont have much money since Im only 15[​IMG]

13. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

I would definately stay away from ebay for a TV. Mainly because of the shipping issue. A TV really has to be handled with kid gloves during shipping. You might try a reputable online retailer like www.outpost.com which is Fry's Electronics website. I have had friends who had good experiences dealing with Ecost.com and their prices on refurbished stuff is pretty good. When it comes to a TV though it is always nice to have someplace to return it to if it comes up defective. I would look in the local newspaper before I bought off ebay. In my area, San Diego, Ca, I have seen some pretty good deals on 3-4 year old 40+ inch CRT RPTVs since a lot of people are jumping on the LCD, DLP, Plasma bandwagon. Check that out, you may be surprised what you will find available.

14. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

"HD Ready" means it absolutely does not have a HD tuner built in, that is the definition of "HD Ready". It basically means that it can display an HD source, but has no way of tuning that source. Careful, though. Just because a TV has an HD tuner on board does not mean it can tune satellite and/or cable HD signals. Many of those on board tuners are only for OTA signals. Satellite and cable use a different tuning standard.

15. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Jeff, I worded my statement the way I did because I have seen at both CC and BB the words HD Ready on a TV that did indeed have an OTA HD tuner. I am saying that one needs to be very careful and make sure that he/she is getting what they pay for, especially when shopping at the large retailers. You know as well as I do that a lot of the folks that work there don't know a heck of a lot and sometimes products are misrepresented both by mouth and by the sticker or label on or near the unit which describes it. Heck, the other day I went into CC and asked the night manager of the music department if they sold SACD or DVD-A discs and the gentleman didn't even know what I was talking about.[​IMG] Caveat Emptor!!