Setup help for 2 subwoofer system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by chris.guess, Jan 17, 2003.

1. chris.guess

chris.guess Auditioning

I need some expert help here setting up my system with 2 subwoofers.

I have one sub connected to my Pioneer VSX-D811s receiver thru the LFE output. I have the other sub "in-between" my Left and Right Fronts. Meaning...I run the L/R front wires from the receiver to the sub-in's and then from the sub-out's to the fronts. I have the fronts set to "Large" on the receiver and have the sub manage the bass that is sent to them.

I have used an SPL meter and have all the speakers calibrated to the same db level at my sitting position, using the test tone on the receiver. However, when I play a movie the center channel volume is so low that I can barely hear the dialogue. I am guessing that the test tone frequency is so high that my sub connected to the fronts doesn't intercept it. Then when a movie plays, the low frequencies sent to the fronts (intercepted by the sub)overpowers the center channel volume.

My questions....
    How can I calibrate the volume and crossover level of the sub connected to the fronts so that it blends in well with the volume of the fronts and center channel?

Should I even be using the sub in this manner? I saw this setup recommended on Polk Audio's website.

If I keep this configuration, what crossover frequency would you recommend setting (adjusted on the sub)? I have small satellite speakers for my fronts.

2. Matt Nevala

Matt Nevala Stunt Coordinator

i dont think you should run the speaker line input sub anymore. ut cutting the power to your R/L channel. see how that sounds, with the fronts to regualar, and to large.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Chris,

First, welcome to the Forum!

4. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Chris, I also have a dual sub setup. But I kept it very simple and love the way it sounds. I have both subs plugged into the lfe output on my receiver via a Y splitter. Try that and see what you think.