What's new

Setup help for 2 subwoofer system (1 Viewer)

chris.guess

Auditioning
I need some expert help here setting up my system with 2 subwoofers.

I have one sub connected to my Pioneer VSX-D811s receiver thru the LFE output. I have the other sub "in-between" my Left and Right Fronts. Meaning...I run the L/R front wires from the receiver to the sub-in's and then from the sub-out's to the fronts. I have the fronts set to "Large" on the receiver and have the sub manage the bass that is sent to them.

I have used an SPL meter and have all the speakers calibrated to the same db level at my sitting position, using the test tone on the receiver. However, when I play a movie the center channel volume is so low that I can barely hear the dialogue. I am guessing that the test tone frequency is so high that my sub connected to the fronts doesn't intercept it. Then when a movie plays, the low frequencies sent to the fronts (intercepted by the sub)overpowers the center channel volume.

My questions....
How can I calibrate the volume and crossover level of the sub connected to the fronts so that it blends in well with the volume of the fronts and center channel?

Should I even be using the sub in this manner? I saw this setup recommended on Polk Audio's website.

If I keep this configuration, what crossover frequency would you recommend setting (adjusted on the sub)? I have small satellite speakers for my fronts.

Matt Nevala

Stunt Coordinator
i dont think you should run the speaker line input sub anymore. ut cutting the power to your R/L channel. see how that sounds, with the fronts to regualar, and to large.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Chris,

First, welcome to the Forum!

I am guessing that the test tone frequency is so high that my sub connected to the fronts doesn't intercept it. Then when a movie plays, the low frequencies sent to the fronts (intercepted by the sub)overpowers the center channel volume.
I suppose this is possible. If this is truly the case, all you need to do is turn down the LFE sub. You might also need to reduce the bass tone control, to subdue the passive sub.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Chris, I also have a dual sub setup. But I kept it very simple and love the way it sounds. I have both subs plugged into the lfe output on my receiver via a Y splitter. Try that and see what you think.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks