Setup for Triangle Titus 202's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TrevorNetwork, Oct 22, 2002.

1. TrevorNetwork

TrevorNetwork Auditioning

Oct 20, 2002
    Firstly, I'd like to say thank you for welcoming me to the forum. I have purchased a set of Triangle Titus 202's after much research. However, being fairly new to the stereo world, (My present system is a Denon AVR-900, PSB Avette II's) I am curious as to which Amp, Preamp and CD player I should use. The obvious answer would be "Use Krell amps, McIntosh preamps and a Rega Planet / Sony Reference CD player" However, my budget is somewhat limited. I am willing to purchase items from eBay.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Aug 30, 2000
    Audio Refinement complete system would be an affordable way to get good synergy with your Triangle's

In this range they have
    Multi 3 and 5 channel amps
    CD Player
    Interated Amp
    Preamp/ Processor

Allo of this stuff costs around $1000 new
  3. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

Oct 21, 2001
    I think you will find a wider selection of quality components at if you are going to go used.
  4. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Mar 19, 2001

It might be easier if you told us what exactly your budget is. Allen's suggestion that you use Audiogon is a good one and there are many deals to be found there. However, I notice that you're in Canada so the exchange rate might make it a bit more challenging. As for set-ups, is your focus going to be strictly 2Ch music? Or will your rig have to do double duty for HT as well? My set-up falls into the latter category and I consider it a budget system:

Source: Sony SCD-CE775 SACD/CD Changer modified by Matthew Anker of

Pre/Power: Harman/Kardon AVR320 HT Receiver

Interconnects: Audio Magic Excalibur II

Speaker Cables: Mapleshade Clearview Golden Helix

Stands: Tyler Accoustics Reference

I think the 320 does a great job for a 50/50 music and movies solution. For the money, I really can't complain but I'll be adding outboard amplification at some point--right now, my space is small enough that I don't really need it. The sound on my system is smooth, detailed and rich. It's also less colored sounding than when I had the Rega Planet 2000 in it--this is purely subjective as some listeners like the warm, rounded sound of the Planet. I actually like the Planet a lot, but wanted to be able to listen to SACDs as well. The one thing about the Titus 202/XS that I've heard over and over again is that it "sounds bright". This is partly true. It's very detailed, fast and with superb clarity--to me, it was like removing a veil that had been obscuring the music. It'll also expose many weaknesses in a system. In mine, limitations with using the AVR320 aside, there was a bit of hash when using inferior interconnects and speaker cable. Upgrading the interconnects, first to Audioquest Copperhead, and then to Audio Magic Excalibur II's made a real and audible difference. Speaker cabling is more interesting and I've only had my Mapleshades for a couple of days so my impressions are incomplete, but I like what I hear so far.

By the way, the suggestion above about Audio Refinement is a good one--I first heard the Titus in an AR set-up and thought it was brilliant. Good luck and let us know how it all works out.