What's new

Setup for Pioneer VSX-45tx - connecting to TV and DVD (1 Viewer)

MikeWe

Agent
My last receiver was purchased in 1993 so this is all new to me. The answers here are probably obvious to non-beginners but in reading the receiver manual it states that when connecting the receiver to the TV, hook up with either component, S-video or composite cables, but you must use the same type of cable to hook up your DVD as you do to hook up the TV.

Now, I plan to run my DVD directly to my TV (Sony 36 xbr800) through component cables. I planned on hooking up the TV to the receiver with a simple video cable. For me, the only reason for hooking up the receiver to my TV is so that I can see the onscreen display of the reciever. Will hooking the TV up to the receiver with one video cable provide a problem if my DVD has no video connection with the receiver? I do not want to have to buy another component video cable for this purpose if I can avoid it. Moroever, even if I do both component connections, the manual states I would still need s-video or composite from the receiver to the TV to see the on-screen displays.

I currently have my TV connected directly to my old Pioneer with regular red and white audio cables. Is this the audio connection that I should use to connect the TV to the receiver for audio purposes, so that I can watch TV through by speakers? Or would I be better off running it directly from the cable box to the receiver.

Also, why do you need to hook up both digital optical AND analog cables from the receiver to the DVD as stated in the manual? Is that because the non-digital signals cannot go through the digital optical cable?

Thanks for helping out a beginner.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
Mike,

It's your lucky day, because I can actually answer all of your questions. I have a 45TX as well, so I can speak from experience:

1. Yes all you need would be an s-video or composite cable from the 45TX to the TV for the OSD. I didn't know that about not being able to use component cables for the OSD, but the manual makes sense on this. Just use a cheapie s-video or composite.

2. You'd be best off just running the audio from your cable tv box into the 45TX where it is marked SAT/CATV or something to that effect. If you cable tv box has a digital out, I would just use that.

3. The digital optical on your DVD player is for movie sound. You have to use this if you are using a 5.1 system or above for the dolby digital and DTS capabilites in surround sound. The digital cable is how that audio signal is carried for movies. The analogs are there in case you want to hook your your DVD player up to the 45TX and use your DVD players Digital Audio Converter's (DAC's) instead of the ones in the 45TX. If you prefer to do the conversion in your 45TX just that single digital optical cable will carry the CD audio as well. I would say if you don't have a DVD player with a beefed up audiot section (like Burr-Brown DAC's), to just let the 45TX do the converting for you.

Hopefully, I didn't confuse you any further. Just let me know if you need anymore help.

MikeWe

Agent
Jon,

Thanks for the response. I did as you say and everything is working fine. Will probably have a ton more questions as I get into it more, but so far I am very impressed with the receiver.

Mike

MikeWe

Agent
I have a second question. I have read about shutdown problems with the Pioneer 45tx and just experienced it myself, though I don't believe it was the usual cause.

I got the receiver yesterday and hooked it up to two 6 ohm older Infinty floorstanding speakers, a PSB center and pair of PSB bookshelf surrounds. Last night, everything worked fine. (Actually, the sound was phenomenal compared to my older Pioneer receiver, I was truly blown away by the quality of the sound coming out of my old Infinity speakers).

Today at lunch, I switched the impedance on the receiver from 8 ohm to 6 ohm to match my two floorstanding speakers and replaced the speaker wire from really old and thin 18 guage with brand new 12 guage with banana plugs into the receiver and bare wire on the speakers.

While listening to a CD and modest volume the receiver shut off. Happened three times in a row. I am wondering what could have caused this.

My first thought is to replace the bare wire with banana plugs into the speaker, as maybe there is a short somewhere from the speaker. Does the use of banana plugs vs. bare wire make any difference here? Does speaker wire guage have any impact on the power needed to drive a speaker?

I find it virtually impossible to believe I was pusing any power limits because of the low volume. I have not run MCACC yet b/c I have not gotten the sub in yet, but planned to do so after work.

Also, if I have a mix of impedance in your speakers, say 6 for mains and 8 for surrounds, what impedance should I set the receiver for?

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
I think ya got me on that one. My NHT's are 6 ohm, but I don't think I ever actually changed the setting in the receiver to tell you the truth. Haven't had any problems since going live with it in April. Maybe someone else can chime in here.

MikeWe

Agent
Well, since I added banana plugs to the speaker wire, no problem. I really tested the volume with no shutoff so I assume that was it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.