What's new

Setup disk, test tones, and reference volume (1 Viewer)

TomV

Auditioning
Hey gang,
Using my new SPL meter and setup disk I went ahead and calibrated my 5.1 audio system, not yet focusing on the video calibration. I set the levels on all speakers to be at 75dB. At this level , the test tones were LOUD and my volume dial was cranked up to 60 (for referece, i listen to TV at around 20 and movies at around 35-40). On the disk they proceded to say that a comfortable listening level is 78-85dB. I can't imagine watching a move with the volume that loud. Is it normal for the reference volume point to be that high, and does anyone watch movies at that volume?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Yes, The test tones will be much louder than content in my experiences.

I watch movies at much higher volumes than that when I am wanting that truly theater like impact.

With movies, keep in mind that the softest parts are way soft, and the loudest parts are way loud. To hear the softest parts clearly, your dynamic peaks such as explosions are supposed to be way loud intentionally for impact.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Reference is very loud. Even louder than the test tones appear to be becasue the test tones are attenuated from reference by 30dB. Actual reference level has peaks of 105 dB for regular sound and 115dB for LFE (now that's LOUD!). Some do listen at reference, but it takes a whole lot of horsepower to hit reference in even a moderately sized room/theater. In my experience, I find most listen -10 to -20 below reference.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I listen just a tad below reference most always and only on serious movie viewing at that. Most other content is way below that mark. Just as an additional FYI on it.

At true reference, that LFE will bring fears of structural damage from my system to my house... I'd put an LOL there, but I am dead serious about that statement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks