Setup and Wiring Help Please

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mike Roosa, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Mike Roosa

Mike Roosa Auditioning

Okay, I'm really confused on the best way to set this system up. I currently have a home theater with:

HK AVR 630 Receiver
    Ascend Acoustics Speaker with HSU Sub
    Panasonic DVD Player
    PS2
    XBOX 360
    HD DVR Cable Box
    VCR
    Philips DVD Recorder

What I'd like to do is set this equipment up in a closet somewhere and be able to run any of it on any TV in my house. Any recommendations on what equipment I'd need or what kind of wiring to use.

I'd also like to have my PS2 and XBOX on my network with hard wiring instead of wireless. My computer modem is in a separate bedroom / office.

Hope this is enough info.

Thanks.

2. Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne Stunt Coordinator

If you want to do wired, you are going to have to figure out a way to run a high quality cat5 cable. What I did, is move the modem and router to my HTR. Now I just had to run one cat5 cable from there to my office in the upstairs.

Here are some general rules for hookups...
    Use your receiver to switch audio and video if you can, this is especially nice on Amps that convert all or most signals to Component. This will save you having to switch the tv from one input to the other when changing what you are doing.
    Digital is typically better that analog. If you have HDMI, use it, if your amp switches it, even better. If not, use your Components as much as possible with digital audio if available. The only exception would be if you had a SACD player and it doesn't look like you do.
    Hook it up one component at a time, make sure everything works and move to the next component. It may take a little longer doing the hookup, but it is much easier to troubleshoot if you don't have 100 billion wires to wade through.

If you want specific help on hookups, post what type of inputs and outputs each of your components have and I'm sure you will get some response.

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Take the HK AVR 630 Receiver preamp out and video out and run it to distribution junction box.
    4 rooms so you would need a 1 x 4 (1 in; 4 out)
    For long runs by a spool of RG 6U coax. Run 3 lenghts to each room. You can buy coax to RCA adapters that will screw on the coax.
    Make sure you label everything!
    Hook up the RCA connectors to each TV input.

You need cat 5 cables to go between the modem and game stuff

Grant

4. Mike Roosa

Mike Roosa Auditioning

Thanks for the updates.

Grant,
    If I went with your suggestion I assume I could not play xbox on one tv while playing ps2 on the other since they both run through the receiver. Correct?