What's new

Setup and MCACC question (1 Viewer)

Xander H

Agent
So I decided yesterday when I hooked up my new DVD player to try using auto MCACC with the microphone to set everything up.

I have a Pioneer VSX-1015TX receiver and 7 JBL speakers with no subwoofer just yet.

Anyway, I used the microphone and played a DVD in my new Sony DVD Player and it was fantastic, the sound was noticeably better. Where before when I wanted to listen to a great scene really loud I would jack the volume up to +3 or +5, now it's almost too loud to listen to at -8 to -5, I can't think of any reason to ever go up above 0.

But when I switched back to my satellite tuner I heard a problem. For some reason it seems that the only speaker working in the TV/SAT mode is the front left speaker. In DVD mode they're all working fantastically, but when I try to watch TV it seems like it's all coming from just that speaker.

To test it out I disconnected the speaker wire from the back of that speaker and turned the receiver back on, there is sound coming from the other speakers but it is SO much quieter it might as well not even be there.

With the front left speaker connected I can sit on the couch and set the volume at -25 and hear just fine, when I disconnected it I had to turn it up to +5 to be able to listen from all the other speakers.

Now I don't know what the heck could be causing this because when I switch to the DVD player everything works perfectly. And it was working fine when I set it up by hand.

I'm using the sound mode "TV Surround" to watch TV and using "PLII +THX" to listen to DVDs, but even switching to other sound modes it still all comes out of the one speaker when I'm trying to watch the satellite.

My theory as to what happened might be right, but I have no idea how to fix it. When I put the new DVD player in I switched from RCA to Digital Opitcal for audio using a monster cable Ultra 1000 fiber optic audio cable.

I plugged that into the top digital audio in slot in the back of my receiever and then I had to go into the setup and change the input assign for that digital in.

But I'm still using RCA to connect my satellite. The only thing that changed was that cable, so I have to assume that broke it somehow.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions that would be great. Also I checked the distance and input levels in manual MCACC and they weren't ridiculously out of proportion to the point where it would cause a 25-30db difference.

Hopefully it's just a simple setting that needs to be changed. If anyone knows what might be going on I'd love some help.

Thanks!

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Make sure the right RCA plug from your sat tuner is still completely connected - that's all I can think of (installing your new dvd player might have dislodged it slightly).

Xander H

Agent
I checked all the connections, they all seem to be fine.

I would be thinking that it's trying to play it using optical audio and just failing except that it's not failing it's just all coming out of the left speaker.

And I hate to spend another 80 bucks on a cable just on the off chance it might fix it. Especially since it was working just fine for months.

JeffLab

Stunt Coordinator
Running MCACC shouldn't do that, nor would using a digital input on one source have any adverse affect on any other analog connections. I have the same Pioneer receiver, with 3 different digital and 2 analog connections, and have no problems. Check that the receiver is set to "auto" detect for digital/analog input signals. Could you specify which inputs each source is connected to on the Pioneer? Most likely its a either a connection or maybe a setting on either the satellite box or the Pioneer. Give me a little more info, and I'd be happy to help.

Xander H

Agent
Sorry it took so long to get back to you all. I was having problems with the forum, getting an error when I tried to reply and then I had to leave town for a day and couldn't get back to it.

Anyway, I went through everything with a fine tooth comb and couldn't find any settings so I went through all the connections again and found the problem. The RCA cable going from sattelite to receiver was broken at the sattelite end somehow, must have happened putting my new DVD player/digital audio cable in at some point. The connector was still in there but when I pulled it out it was cracked. Replacing the wire fixed the problem though, so now I can finally listen to TV again.

Appreciate all the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks