1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Setup and connections, Speaker wire and heat

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Cole, Oct 20, 2001.

1. Paul Cole

Paul Cole Agent

I'm taking delivery of my tv today and (any second) and will be hooking up my receiver, dvd player, vcr and speakers.
    What is the best way to hook everything up?
    Do I go cable line in to cable box to vcr to tv?
    What connections are made from cable box to receiver and receiver to tv?
    Does the dvd player connect to the tv AND receiver or just the receiver?
    Quick rundown of gear:
    Sony 61" hs10
    Sony dvd (forget model, mid to low 200 bucks)
    Onkyo 595
    JBL nsp 1's
    Toshiba stereo vcr (old)
    I will also be running my speaker wire's through my crawl space and was thinking of bringing them up near some baseboard heating. How close is too close? It is the best way for me to do this cause it would hide the holes nice and allow me to move them around for best placement.
    Sorry if this post is a mess but I have not had enough coffee yet. The tv coming doesn't help either....I may pass out from the excitement.
    Please feel free to talk to me as if I were a 6 year old.

2. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

I have the Sony also. If the only component output is the DVD player, hook it to Vid 5 component in on the HS10. That is the only input that allows anamorphic squeeze. Don't forget to change the default component mode of the HS10 from RGB or else everything will look green.
    AFA the other components, I like to run directly to the TV, vs switching thru a reciever. If you record Cable on the VCR, then route thru it first.
    As long as the speaker wire isn't in direct contact with the heat pipe, it should be OK. The pipe should be insulated if it's in a crawlspace. Wrapping the wire with electrical tape or something would help. Drilling a few holes would be the safest, tho.
    First thing to do when you get the TV hooked up is set it to Pro mode, turn the Brightness/Contrast down to about 30-40%. Sharpness to ~0-10%. If you don't have Avia or something similar to calibrate everything with, get it. It really makes a difference and will save your CRT's from premature death.
    Not familiar with your reciever, but if accepts digital audio, use the Coax out from the DVD to the reciever to get DD and/or DTS.
    Pete

3. Paul Cole

Paul Cole Agent

Thanks Pete...that helps me out so much.
    I have an spl meter but am having a hard time finding the Avia or Video Essentials disc.
    Again, thanks for the help.