Settop Box/Satellite Setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ReneA, Nov 30, 2001.

1. ReneA

ReneA Agent

I am waiting for my Mitsubishi SRHD500 HDTV Satellite System (dish included) to arrive in the mail. Can anyone direct me to or have a step by step installation method that I can go by? I currently have a satellite (dirctv) setup in my home. Thanks in advance. Rene
    [​IMG]

2. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

Rene:

If you already have a DirecTV round dish, you will have to either replace it with the oval double LNB dish, or get another round dish to point at the 119 satellite, as that is where the HD programming comes from. You will also need to use a "multiswitch" to connect the four wires from both LNBs and get the outputs to your new HD receiver. The multiswitch comes with the oval dish, you will have to buy one if you use two round dishes. (The only reason I mention the possibility of using two round dishes is that some people have definitely gotten better signal strength for both satellites when using two separate dishes.) The multiswitch is clearly labeled for the four input wires from both LNBs and the four output wires that can go to four different receivers. One of these will go to the new receiver. It can be an existing wire for the receiver you are replacing. You will also need a regular antenna to feed into the receiver for over the air (OTA) signals. This can be "diplexed" into the satellite wire to run one wire into the receiver. The receiver automatically separates out the satellite from OTA signals. Then you will use component cables with RCA plugs to connect the receiver to your TV's HD input, and a pair of audio cables for the sound to the TV. You can also use the digital output to go directly to your receiver for DD sound.

Good luck.

SMK

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

The Mits box comes with the elliptical dish and necessary multiswitch. All Rene has to do is swap the elliptical dish for his current round one, swap out the receivers, and aim the new dish. For local ota, he will need to use a separate UHF (VHF in some rare instances) antenna. This can be diplexed along with the satellite cable, or connected to the separate OTA RF input on the back of the box.
    The vast majority of ota HD is broadcast on the UHF band, but a very few are on VHF channels. My only local ota HD channel is broadcast over VHF channel 9. All the local analog channels are UHF, so that's the kind of rooftop antenna I have. Fortunately I get a good lock on the digital broadcast even though I have the "wrong" antenna.