SETTLED - I need SVS (which one) and an EQ !! Maybe new speakers too ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Lee, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Greg Lee

Greg Lee Agent

Based on extensive and purely scientific research on this forum, I've decided I need to replace my HTD Subwoofer with an SVS, and I need an EQ to tame some peaks and valleys in my room.

As far as EQ, it looks like the Behringer DSP1100 Feedback Destroyer ($129) based on several recommendations. Anyone second, or dispute, this recommendation ?

As far as the SVS, I was thinking 25-31CS, but now am considering the 20-39. However this is in a big room (6500 ft^3 not counting adjacent rooms without doors). I understand that the 25-31, while obviously giving up some bottom end, will give overall higher volume for the same amount of power. So maybe the 25-31 is the better choice? I will be driving it with an Adcom GFA5400 amp (200 w/channel @4 ohms w .018% THD)

Now does anyone want to convince me to send my entire HTD Level III 5.1 system back (I have until Jan 4 on the trial period) and replace it with some other set of 5 speakers in the $500-700 range?

Its not that I'm unhappy with the HTD speakers in general; just due to sloppy bass (I'm sure primarily a room response problem) I haven't really been inspired by them.

2. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

The sloppy bass problem with the HTD III is probably due to room size and maybe a little with the placement. If you are happy with the HTD mid and hi imaging, then the SVS will definitely improve your bass issue! I have 4000cf and a single 20-39PC. Does great. With your room size, Tom and Ron probably have a solution for you.

3. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

I have heard a 25-31 and a 20-35 side by side. Get the 25-31 esp if room large. Everybody will say otherwise, but the extraextension of the 20-35 is a very subtle advantage but the headroom advantage of the 25-31 was obveous. I second the BFD. Everybody who listens to music in their HT should have one.

4. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Greg,

I bet you $1 that with a very capable sub like the 25-31CS you might decide your "room response problems" are not that critical. I'm guessing it's more a subwoofer issue. Don't get me wrong, an equalizer (like the inexpensive ART 351, or the Behringer) can be FANTASTIC tools I would find out first if the sound you get unequalized is what you want.

If you can compare the SVS with the HTD (which might be a great sub, we've never tested one) that might really be the way to know what the issues are in your room. At least then you can make a clear decision about returning the HTD, (can you send just the sub back?). Naturally, if you find that the SVS is not "doing it" for you it can come back 45 days later.

We get so few back we hardly keep track of it but the door is always open to folks that experiment and make decisions based on experience gained in the only place that matters... your room.

Ron