What's new

Settings on Onkyo 501: best 5.1 sound? (1 Viewer)

Pat_C

Agent
By way of background info, I have the following running through the Onkyo:

2 Paradigm Titans (fronts)
1 cc-170 Center
2 Paradigm Titans (rears)
1 PDR 10' sub

The distance from the fronts and centers to the rears is roughly 12 feet.

What is the optimal crossover on the Onkyo for my speakers with this system for DVD movies: 80 Hz or above 100 hz? Is this affected by my settings on my sub as well -- i.e., if I turn it down to 50 hz isn't this going to affect the crossover settings on the Onkyo?

Also, to anyone that has an Onkyo, what subwoofer mode is best for DVDs -- 1, 2, 3? Mode 1 apparently directs all low frequencies from the speakers, Mode 2 directs only low frequencies from the fronts and center, and Mode 3 has something to do with LFE and a 6.1 system. Mode 3 sounds good, but I don't have a 6.1 system right now, so I may be missing out on some bass.

Marco_Chicago

Auditioning
I would like to know some of the answers to these questions myself. I currently have the Onkyo 6.1 TX-SR501 and the JBL NSP1II speaker package. I set the crossover to 120hz since I using "small" speakers and it says in the manual to go by the diameter of the woofer on the front speakers. As far as the subwoofer setting I plan on putting it in mode 3 when my dayton subs come in next week. I also dont have a 6.1 setup so I am curious if my logic would be correct.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
1: All speakers set to small, redirecting bass from all speakers at your x-over frequency to the sub.
2: You may have that one backwards? Usually there will be a setting to have bass from the mains as well as the sub.
3: Sub out is limited to LFE only, all speakers set to large. Not a good plan with small speakers.

Your sub WILL be affected by using the receiver's x-over, but it will not affect the other speakers. Set the sub to it's highest level and let the receiver handle the x-over or you could create a gap in frequencies.

With your setup, you want to use 1 for the sub, and try out 80Hz for your x-over, and if it sounds OK, leave it.

Pat_C

Agent
Just to be clear:

(1) Set the speakers to 60hz or 120hz?

(2) Turn my Sub to 150 Hz or 50hz?

(3) I should NOT use Subwoofer Mode 3 -- instead use Mode 1, which directs bass from all speakers to the sub.

?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
1) Try 80 and 100Hz for x-over on your receiver, stick with whichever one sounds better. Depending on the slope of the x-over, 80Hz may work better.

2) 150Hz.

3) Yes. 3 may seem to sound better because you get more midrange, but these speakers are not ideal for playing full range and your receiver will be a little happier sending bass to your sub than your mains.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks