What's new

settings on Blu Ray to get Dolby Digital- audio question - Lexicon MC1 and LG BD390 (1 Viewer)

jeffdg

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
Okay - I have a Lexicon MC1 (4.0) and an LG BD-390 Blu Ray player. Since the MC1 is older, there are no HDMI inputs on it nor is there any newer surround decoding modes than Dolby Digital. Currently, I'm using the optical out from the Blu-ray to the Lexicon. Unfortunately, the only decoding I can get with the new player is Dolby Pro-Logic, which is unfortunate.

So what do I need to do to get Dolby Digital decoding? I had no problem with this with my old DVD player (sony 400 disc changer), but only with blu ray players (I have tried this with a fairly low-end Sony blu ray player as well). This is true regardless of content, from standard DVDs to streamed video with 5.1 encoding (from Vudu).

Is this a setting in the blu-ray player's audio o/p? Or do I need to use SPDIF (which both devices have)? Or... what?

Thanks for the help!
-Jeff

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Since I'm not familiar with the LG player, I can't tell you exactly what setting in the player's menu to adjust. However, I did have an MC-1 and currently have an MC-8. There's no question you can get DD 5.1 (and DTS 5.1) using an optical connection from a Blu-ray player -- assuming, of course, that you're playing a disc that supports that kind of output.

Since you're only getting ProLogic, it sounds like the player is converting the output for S/PDIF to stereo PCM. You want to go to your player's setup menu, look in the audio section, and specify "bitstream" wherever possible. This may require some trial and error, and you should also consult the manual, even though these are often confusing. (The manual for my Panasonic BD-50 is a masterpiece of double-talk!) Some manufacturers will also have settings like "original audio" that are worth trying.

Keep trying different player settings until you get it. As a test disc, use a recent release by Sony or Warner with a Dolby TrueHD audio track. All of these have a DD 5.1 "compatibility" track that is automatically routed to the S/PDIF outputs of the Blu-ray player, if the correct settings are engaged. Good luck!

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
On the BD-390, from Setup, go to Audio, change the digital audio out (SPDIF) to DTS Re-encode.

jeffdg

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
Awesome, thank you both! I will try this tomorrow (when I get back home) and report back!

jeffdg

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
Awesome, thank you both! I will try this tomorrow (when I get back home) and report back!

jeffdg

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
Did it, and it worked - thank you!

I tried running the HDMI to the TV (samsung ln55b650) and then take the optical out to get better lipsync delay (which I do), but I lose the DD surround... i'm guessing the TV can only output PCM. But it's pretty close anyway so I'm not terribly bothered.

Thanks again.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If I remember correctly, the MC-1 has an adjustment for sync delay. But it's been a few years; so I can't remember where it's buried in the setup menu. Look around. It shouldn't be hard to find.

jeffdg

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
yes it does! but it's only 60 ms, gets most of the way there, for some reason it seems much less of an issue w/my blu-ray player than it does w/my ol' DVD player (Sony 400 DVD changer),

Alpha Biker

Auditioning
Real Name
Eddie
Originally Posted by jeffdg

Did it, and it worked - thank you!I

The BD390 has 7.1 analog outputs. If your receiver has 5.1 or 7.1 analog inputs you can get the newer Blu-Ray audio formats.

~eddie

Users who are viewing this thread