Settings for XBR400 BEFORE tweaking in Service Mode?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Russell Low, Jun 7, 2001.

1. Russell Low

Russell Low Auditioning

I'm the happy owner of a new Sony 36XBR400. I've read a lot here and elsewhere about getting into the service mode and tweaking various settings (disabling red push, etc.). At this point, however, I don't want to try it as the TV is too new (only 5 days old) and I think it needs to 'settle' for a while before any serious tweaking is done to it. (And besides, I don't want to void the warranty this early in the game.)
    So...for those of you XBR400 owners who have NOT changed anything in the service menu, what are your settings in the various modes for this TV? What mode do watch your DVDs in? What about cable or other sources?
    I'm using a Sony 9000ES (progressive scan) and viewing DVDs in the PRO mode on the XBR. I've tweaked the PRO mode with Avia and disabled VM, and I've gotten pretty satisfactory results, but noticed that regular (analog) cable looks a little washed out and fuzzy with this mode, so I've resorted to using STANDARD mode with cable (also with VM disabled). (Is this because progressive scan is inherently darker than interlaced??? I noticed my screen got a little darker when I switched the 9000ES to progressive, so the brightness had to be turned up to compensate.) I also found that the WARM color temp setting looks too yellow for my taste; the NEUTRAL setting looks far more natural too me.
    Thanks for any and all replies and comments...
    Russell

2. Mike E W

Mike E W Agent

As a starting point I adjusted all modes with VE. I have my HT in the family room and it can be bright in there during the day even with the blinds down so I set vivid mode higher in the brightness and contrast to compensate and use that for regular TV during those conditions. I use standard for TV viewing under normal conditions and upped the contrast and brightness just a wee bit from VE. I use movie for DVD movies and left if as is after calibration with VE. Then I use pro for my VCR. I needed to up the tint a little for some reason and I thought it looked better with the sharpness turned up a little as well. I have movie set to progressive, the others interlaced, SVM off in all modes. You might want to take a little time to get used to the picture after you adjust it with VE or Avia, I think it says somthing about that during the process. At any rate you have 4 modes to optimize for different sources/viewing conditions however you need to suit your gear and tastes.

3. Russell Low

Russell Low Auditioning

Thanks, Mike. Anyone else??????
    Russell