What's new

Settings for Toshiba 36HF72 (1 Viewer)

I just had this set delivered yesterday. Can anyone suggest or share their settings for this set? Also when playing a DVD, the black bar seems to slope down to the right. Is there an easy fix for this? Thanks for any help.

BrianDB

Agent
select Movie Mode (Sports, Normal, Movie, Preference) and then adjust to taste after select save preference and it will save settings to the Preference setting with SVM off. You may need to do this with each input setting.

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit
I also have the black bar that drops to the right corner. BUt i dont understand what you mean brian. How do you adjust for the bar? ALl i can change is the color settings etc. Also, would Dynamic Scan Control be the same as VSM? Thats what my set says it has

TimHON

Agent
I have had the set for about 6 weeks now and these are the settings I am using. I put the TV in Movie mode as suggested above and then calibrated using Avia disc all though I plan to do it again this weekend as the TV seems to have changed some over the course of time.

Contrast 56
Brightness 65
Color 52
Tint -5
Sharpness 40

I have color set to warm and pretty much everything else turned off including SVM(by adjusting through the movie mode and then saving settings to Preference). Keep in mind your lighting will influence how your set looks a great deal. I would be curious where your settings are right now and how you think the set looks.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
WOW Tim are you serious? i have the HFX71 (basically the same tv) and my settings are much lower, im nto at home now so these arent exact but my contrast is in the 30's brightness is below 50 (barely) colour around 32 (but mine seems to ahve a very good grey scale) and my tint is -2 i think and my sharpness is way lower around 15-20.

as far as the geometry problems mentioned you have to go into the service menu to fix those, its not very hard.... for some reason the toshiba's seem to have alot of geometry problems, but nothing that cant be easily fixed if you are slightly adventourous. I personally have no problems working in the service menu (though i dont touch anything not related to geometry)

if you want the info i have for the service menu just e-mail me.

edit: David did you try adjusting the tilt?

BrianDB

Agent
John-Miles,

Which setting corrects the Horizontal Bowing top and bottom. The Para takes care of the vertical sides however I can't seem to find the setting to correct the downward bowing of the top and bottom of the screen. It is especially pronounced when in Compression mode.

TimHON

Agent
Those are my settings. Like I said I am going to recalibrate the set using avia again but there is no way I could set contrast and brightness that low. Picture would be way to dark. I know that part of it is getting used to a properly adjusted set. My old Mitsubishi set was set way to high as far as contrast and brightness goes so my eyes are adjusting to a darker looking set. Brightness probably should be set about 5-10 points lower and contrast maybe about 3-5 lower but adjusting to the levels you posted would leave me with a very dark set. I am having difficulty adjusting sharpness as moving from extremes seems to do very little to the picture. Using the avia test pattern and moving sharpness from 0-100 seems to affect the pattern very little. Any ideas why this would be?

John-Miles

Screenwriter
HITHEIGHT
LINV-LINEARITY
VSCV-S CORRECTION
VPS2V-SHIFT
VCPV-COMPENSATION
WIDPICTURE WIDTH
PARAE-W PARABOLA
CNRE-W CORNER
TRAPTRAPEZIUM
HCPH-CONMPENSATION
VFCV-F CORRECTION
HPSH-POSITION

those are the geometry parameters try cnr and trap together

TimHON

Agent
Well I couldn't wait until the weekend and fortunately had the TV to myself for a couple of hours tonight. Sure enough after recalibrating using avia the settings changed dramatically. Now I am at:

Contrast 50
Brightness 44
Color 52
Tint -5
Sharpness 36

These settings only apply to my DVD HD inputs. For analog cable they are still way to dark and I am staying for now with my earlier post all though I am trying to bump brightness down a little bit. Still having a problem with the sharpness setting though and noticing much difference over the whole adjustment scale.

TimHON

Agent
Jason- I am curious. Are these your settings on all inputs. After using the avia disc lowering my brightness to the 45 level really made a huge difference in picture quality on DVD's. The picture just seems richer and not washed out at all like it did with brightness at 65. Of course when I applied these setting to regular broadcast tv the picture looked like it was shot in an alley. I had to bump the brightness up quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks