What's new

Settings for TLOTR for Denon 3802? (1 Viewer)

Debra F

Agent
I'm trying to play The Lord Of The Rings DD EX 5.1.

I'm not getting any sound out the surrounds. Can anyone please tell what the settings should be for this format?

DTS works just fine when viewing "The Haunting" but I can't get TLOTR's to work for DD5.1

Thanks so much : >

Debra

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
1) Did you go into the movie menu and select the DD EX track?

2) DTS and DD/DD EX are different formats, so the ability to reproduce one has nothing to do with the other, beyond the fact that your DVD player is correctly connected and setup if DTS is working.

3)Do other Dolby Digital movies work/sound correct?

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Are you trying the DTS disc as a test in the same session with LOTR? If so, what I've written after this should not have any bearing on this.

You state you're getting 'no surround'.
Do you have the DVD player currently set to PCM only. If so, you will get only a Stereo mode for DD. If this is the case you will also not be getting anything from the center either. What does the surround mode indicator on the receiver say when you try playing LOTR?

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
On the 3802 there's a "6.1/7.1 Surround" button. Press that while the movie is on and let me know what you get.

Bolivar G

Second Unit
Dunno if the same thing as the 3802 , but on my 4802 when I played LOTR, it said THX 5.1 on my recevier.

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
A lot of receivers won't detect the DD-EX flag, you have to manually put your receiver in 6.1 mode for it to work.

Debra F

Agent
Thanks to everyone : >
Some how I managed to change the "Bitstream " option off ;)
Working fine now : >
On my RP62 DVD player there's a option "PCM Down Conversion"
Yes or No. What would i set this to?
Can someone explain exactly what PCM is used for?
There's also another option for "D. Range Compression" Yes or No option. What is this and what do I set it to?
Thanks so much:>
Debra

Henry_W

Stunt Coordinator
Please excuse me if I don't cover your points here, but let me try and give you my 3802 setup that seems to work in most all situations:

1. I set up the DVD player to its broadest bandwidth capability in all options (that means no compression of any sort).

2. I set the 3802 to 'auto' for any source that is digitally connected - to date the 3802 has made the right choice on the input even though the front panel display may say something else. The real info comes from the little red leds on the 3802 fron panel to let you know all is working as wanted.

As to PCM - someone smarter is needed here, but my shot is that PCM is the digital modulation that is most popular for music CDs. I do have the CD player set up as PCM only in my 3802 and PCM enabled on my DVD player.

Hope I haven't mislead or not understood the question.

Cheers.

Eric T

Second Unit
Debra - I would recommend leaving Dynamic Range Compression off. It will reduce the dynamic range of whatever you are playing. What it does is basically lower the maximum output level of the source and then raise the volume a bit...the effect is that the quiter passages seem louder while the loudest output level is not increased.

This feature is useful if you don't want to wake anyone up when you are watching at night. It will allow you to hear the quiet parts better and won't shock everyone when there's an explosion or something. But it does modify the sound, and I wouldn't use it for normal listening.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
I just rechecked my Panasonic DVD player...
Now that you have "bitstream" for both DD and Dts, set "PCM Down Conversion" to YES to play CDs while the receiver is still set to DVD input mode. Works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks